Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about Peavey millenium series basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Nov 14, 2000.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm looking at getting a new bass and I've been seriously considering the peavey millenium series but I've got a few questions for anyone who owns one or has played one. First off what are the price ranges on these bad boys? Is it possible to get a good slap and funk style tone out of these basses and also get a pretty good rock tone? Is there anywhere I could buy them or play them without having to order direct from peavey?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't own a Millenium, but I was considering buying one for a while, so I've played a few (just 5-strings) in stores. I don't remember the list prices anymore, but you can e-mail Peavey for them. (Peavey will usually reply within a day or so.) I think a ballpark street price would be around $1000 for a 4-string depending on options and etc. As for the tone, I think that you can get any kind of tone you desire, with the Music Man-type pickup at the bridge and the single-coil at the neck, plus the active pre-amp, the Millenium is Peavey's most versitile bass. To answer your final question, you can't order direct from Peavey. You have to go to a Peavey dealer (check your Yellow Pages :) ) to try them and buy them.

(I would already own a Millenium {and I still may eventually get one}, but I am on a quest for a 6-string, and a Peavey Cirrus is a possibility.)

3. I saw a funked up blues band (if the Jimmy Johnson Blues Band ever comes to your town.. go see them.. man alive.. ) play a show and their bassplayer had a Millenium+ 5 string through a Peavey 2x10" and a Peavey 12". I'd imagine the amp was a Peavey too, but I couldn't see it that well. His tone was incredible. His fingerstyle tone was very smooth and his slapping was very crisp and well defined.

4. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    You can try a Millenium at any Peavey store. Bass Player magazine just did a review and they were blown away by the Bass.

CHANCE

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just bought a fretless Peavey Cirrus 5 and I'm blown away by the quality of workmanship and tone. I also played several Millenia (4 and 5, Plus and Standard) and I think they were definitely the best new basses I've tried in their class (bolt-ons $1200 and under). I played the Ibanez BTB, Fender American Deluxe P and J basses, Yamaha, Godin, US Masters, and thought the Millenium had more to offer. I have a StingRay and I think the Millenium is definitely comparable (but more versatile). I've had really horribly terribly horrendous experiences with Peavey basses, bass amps, and guitar amps in the past-so it's good to see that they're turning things around.

6. kevin_5656

kevin_5656

Nov 18, 2000
    Chance6245: where did you see the Bass Player review of the Millenium? I emailed them a few weeks ago asking if they were planning on reviewing the Millenium. Greg Olwell at BASS PLAYER replied by saying that they were trying to track one down for their January 2001 issue. I presumed that issue wouldn't be out until mid-December?

7. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    A friend of a friend of a friend ran me a copy. They gave it 5 out of 5 stars!

CHANCE