1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions about PICKS...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strummer21, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I don't want to start a debate, but I play both with a pick and with my fingers (depending upon the song/sound I want to achieve). I would like to play w/ a pick but have a little closer to using my fingers sound (not as bright). I am currently using a Flex 75 nylon pick. Can anyone recommend picks to get that more closely sound like fingers hitting the strings? Also, how do I try out a bunch of different picks without buying a package of each? I'd like to sample a bunch first and I never see any loose picks out at the music store that you can try first (have to buy a bag each at $5 a pop).

Thanks for any and all help.

2. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
  3. Hehe I came in here to suggest either rubber picks or felt picks. I see the situation is already under control!

4. DutchDude

DutchDude

Sep 12, 2007
    man you need heavier picks, those thin things give you a bright sound, but 2.0 mm or 1.5 mm give a more fingerlike sound, just go to a musicstore and buy a handfull of picks of different sizes and see what works best for you. It's not like picks are so expenisve are they ;)

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Felt Picks are great but unfortunately they make an absolute mess. The fibers end up all over your bass. The rubber picks are pretty good. I really like the Planet waves adjustable picks. Its a rubber sleeve that holds a pick of various thickness inside so you can pick and choose how flexible it will be. I got one free with some D'Addarrio strings I bought once, pretty cool stuff.

6. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
  7. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    All music stores I go to have bins of individual picks so I would be surprised if you can't buy singles of different thickness to try.

Later
    Rob

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

I use Dunlop Big Stubbies 2.0mm and love the how they sound - and feel. The thickness gives you an aggressive attack and less click than the thinner picks I've tried. The indentation in them also makes them very easy to hold securely.

I'm going to have to try those rubber picks, too. I like the sound of a brand new felt pick but the Dunlops I tried seem to get compressed quickly and I end up with a sharper attack and brighter sound than I want out of them. Do the rubber ones give you a sound, attack, and feel similar to that of a new felt pick but last longer and grip securely?

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    A good compromise between your typical scrapey-sounding pick and the really soft ones (felt or rubber, which have a unique sound but can't really be played the way you'd play with a regular hard guitar pick), are the Dunlop Jazz picks, particularly the red ones. They're smaller than a normal pick, which can take some getting used to, but I think they might make a full sized one as well (though I've never tried one). With the jazz picks there are 3 types: black stiffo which sound more like a tortex pick, ultex which sound and feel like celluloid picks but are more durable (very nice actually), and then the red ones which have a very pleasing warm sound while still maintaining the stiffness of a traditional pick. I use all 3 pretty frequently...

10. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Dunlop Jazz picks, I can't hang on to them and neither can my guitar players!

11. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    +1 The dunlop big stubbie sounds more like fingers, but still has some of that pick attack. The definition is somewhere halfway between fingers and a hard pick attack.

12. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
  13. I just went to the local Guitar Center to try out all the suggested picks. They have NO loose picks to look at or demo?!? They had like 3 guitar picks behind the register and that was it. I'll try someplace else...

14. +1 on Jim Donlop Stubbies

but my favorite is the Tri Stubby I used one that is like 3mm thick. It's big and stays in my oversided hands.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  16. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    i use dunlop jazz IIs and turn them the other way around so the normal picking end is facing the other way.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I agree. The reason I have switched to 0.88mm picks is because I want my pickstyle playing to sound pickstyle! For fingerstyle sound I use my fingers. :p

18. Probably heavier ones - less of the "clicking" sound. I love that sound, and never play finger style (I'm not any good at it), and use Dunlop nylon .38 / .46 gauge picks choked up & almost sideways.

19. I don't reach for a pick to often but when i do i normally grab a dismembered finger or a small animal. They always give me that dark, organic tone i'm looking for.