questions about pickup winding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KSDbass, Dec 28, 2005.

1. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    ok, i was looking at the windings of my pickups, and I started thinking. my first question is, does the density of the wire change the sound? and my other question is, what happens if you wind more copper wire around the copper wire thats already there? thanks for the help
  2. vyvyn mtl

vyvyn mtl

Dec 26, 2005
    Everything from magnet materials and strenght to copper content of the wire will affect the output of your pickup. More windings will make a fatter tone. I have substituted coils and magnets with my Dimarzios. Mixing and matching works great with same brand pickups. If you want too add more winding you have to solder more wire to the end of the existing wire. you can't simply wind more around it. I have repaired pickups. It is kinda difficult to solder such small wire. I find it works best to try and drop a bead of solder on the connection rather than trying to tin it. It is aslo frustrating to unwind the wiring if the pickup has been dipped in wax. If you are successful in making your own it is a good idea to drip wax in and around the coils when you are done. A pickup is basically a magnet with a wire wrapped around it. Try taking a nail and wrap some bare copper wire around it and hook each end up to a flashlight battery. Turns the nail into a magnet. Good luck. hope this helps. Eddie Van Halen used to wind his own pickups. 500 times per coil. If someone who could play anything he wanted would rather spend a few hours doing this there might be something to it.
  3. KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    thats pretty awesome, thanks for all the help
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    sorry to revive this but, where would one find the correct solder wire, and what brand would you suggest? aswell as the type of solder for this?