1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about Series / Parallel FX loop (Aggie Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jul 24, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    So, I'm kinda ashamed that I don't know this, but here it is. For those unfamilliar with this unit, it has Level Controls for both SEND and RETURN, as well as SERIES / PARALLEL switching and a -20db switch.

So, from what I understand, the SEND level control manages the volume level going into my pedal, and the RETURN level control manages the volume of the signal coming back in.... but if I have the loop set to parallel it acts as a MIX wet / dry control? Is that correct? Why when I select the -20db does the overall volume go UP?

I'm using a preamp pedal, and I want to use this as an effective SECOND CHANNEL. It has true bypass, and I want to set this unit up so that when the pedal is disengaged, as little of the DB659's signal gets through as possible, and have it all be the pedal, and when the pedal is disengaged, have the DB659's signal be 100% and not attenuated in any way...

My thanks in advance for any advice...

2. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Anyone?

3. The -20db switch is a sensitivity switch. When engaged it sets the loop to accept a low level signal. If your pedal is true bypass set the loop to serial, when in bypass it is all the head's preamp. Engaged the head's preamp is modified by the pedal when running in the effects loop.

4. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    That helps.... so I should set the loop for parallel, use however much output gain into the loop I need to get a good signal without noise, and set the return level on full for a totally "wet" signal when the pedal is engaged, and with this setting the pedal will be "invisible" when disengaged... correct?