Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about speakon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    1. What exactly are speakon connectors and what benefits are there in using them? I've heard that they somehow provide a better amp to speaker connection than banana and 1/4" plugs, but in what way? Is it really a noticeable difference?

2. Do they make cables with 1/4" or banana plugs on one end and speakon on the other? If so, is there any point in using them or do you need a speakon connection on both ends?

3. Can 1/4" speaker outs be upgraded or replaced with speakon jacks? If so, what's the best way to do this?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A Speakon is a design invented by Neutrik, a Europen connector company. Design advantages include: higher current capability, locking connectors, non-shorting insertion, ability to handle bi-amp or stereo signals in a single connector, no confusion with mike, guitar or power connections, solderless assembly, plastic shell (no shocks), meets new more stringent safety regulations in the EU countries.

With real high powered amps the better power transfer is audible in most cases.

Yes, but most are short adapters (check Carvin's web site to see some). You can of course wire your own cables (I made up some 50' with Speakon on one end and 1/4" on the other). Main reason is compatibility with older gear; for example I have a powered mixer that has Speakon outs only and PA cabinets that are 1/4" only.

You can buy panel mount Speakon connectors; you then have to fit these to your amp or cabinet. Retrofitting cabs is pretty easy, amps are harder because there may be space constraints.

In 5 years, Speakons will be the standard for all bass amps and PA gear, wait and see. It's almost there today.

3. Speakon connectors have more contact area than other types, and carrry more current. The often have lower (thicker) guage cables.

Carvin makes converters. (although they call speakon twist-lok)

I suppose you can replace conventional outs with Speakons, but it's not really worth it i don't think.

4. hehe, I feel stoopid now :):)