Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about SVT 4 Pro Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EchO, Nov 6, 2005.

1. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    So.... I'm about to buy a Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head but I have some questions. Lets say I play on it maybe twice a week. How often would i have to replace the tubes? A guy on musicians friend said not to put this head in a rack (even though it is rack ready) he said it didn't get enough airflow... but I really want to get a rack and this be a part of it... what do you think about that?

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've had my svt 4 for about 2 years, play frequently and have not yet replaced the tubes...I don't imagine I'l need to anytime soon.
    And it is in a rack as well, but with an extra space on top.
    If I had to do it over again I would prbly pair the the svp-pro preamp with a power amp of my liking.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Preamp tubes can last a long, long time. There are (supposedly) original SVT heads out there still using the factory preamp tubes. They just don't get worked hard enough to burn out no matter what you do to them.

Power amp tubes are the ones you have to replace periodically, but the SVT4 doesn't have those, its a solid state power section.

4. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    thanks... that's would I would come to expect happen to my rig as well =)

5. I dont know what the guys getting on at you about the airflow tho, you dont need that much space for cooling surely

I know my SVT II (all tube) is in a tightish case, now that can get fairly toasty

6. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    He was saying it's needs plenty of airflow on it's sides as well.
    But like the guy said earlier if you are pushing a SVT 4 pro head hard enough to make it all that hot, then you probably have some serious issues haha (or your playing HUGE gigs)

7. Yeah, i know, the airflow vent for the SVT II is on the sides aswell :spit:

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    the fan is side mounted. the air blows accross the amp, not from front to back. ampeg sells a rack specially made for their amps that have the side mounted fans... the vent holes are on the sides. or you can get a solid rack and do a little surgery to it yourself. But i think if you use a decent quality rack & leave some space open above it, you probably would be ok without cutting up the rack.

9. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    I'll just grab a random chick out of the crowd and be like " Ok stand back here and blow in there" haha how's that for airflow?

10. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    Like perhaps drilling holes in the side of the rack?

11. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I am also lokking at the SVT 4, played one last weekend, and liked it. It could not go very loud, but that I think has to do with the cab, a Ampeg 410.
    So, is this amp worth the money?
    Any suggestions on other amps in this range?

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    perhaps :)

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have had my SVT4 Pro for about 4 or 5 years now. I have never replaced the preamp tubes, and it has spent its entire life in an SKB rack. It has been run mono-bridged most of the time, and I have not run into one bit of an overheating problem with it. The guy from Musician's Friend is being way too overcautious telling you that you can't rack it. If that was the case, then why does Ampeg make it rack-mountable?? And why has mine worked TOTALLY flawlessly for the past 4-5 years??

Buy it, rack it, and have fun. :)

14. I thought ampeg stopped selling thier own rack ?

15. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Ryan is correct. Rackmounting gear requires just a little bit of common sense, but a lot of people have none. :eyebrow: If you stuff a high powered amp into a rack that does not provide proper ventilation & run it hard, you will most likely run into problems. Its much easier for the sales guy to simply tell you not to rack it.

Mohawk- I am not sure if Ampeg stopped making the cases, but here is the factory direct phone number if one would like to enquire. 1-800-738-SLME(7563)

16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have beaten the crap out of my SVT 4 and it has always been in a rack and has never overheated.

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have used mine for hours outdoors in 90+ heat, and not had problems. They seem to take absolutely anything you can throw at em, IME.

Still wondering sometimes why I am considering selling mine........ :confused:

18. EchO

EchO

Aug 3, 2005
    Lubbock,TX
    hehe well the only reason I've ever heard of anyone selling this head is bc they don't play enough big venues to use it at
    I'm going to get this head this week, and I'm sure I will enjoy it.

19. I played on and SVT-4 for about four years, kept it in a rack the whole time and never replaced a tube. I did, however, have to get it fixed once, but it had been used before I got it and the repair had nothing to do with tubes.

Overall it's a pretty versatile, reliable amp. Doesn't need much maintenance and takes a beating well. Very loud.