Questions About SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dilutedrealityg, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Well I have been doing a little thinking, and I think im gonna a SWR cab.

I have been looking at the Working Mans 4 x 10, and the Goliath 3 (4x10).

There are a few main differances between the two, the Goliath can handle 300 more watts, and to me sounds a bit better, also the Goliath III is offered in 4 Ohm load now.

2 Questions.
    Im wondering if it's worth going with the Goliath III over the Workingmans. I can tell the tonal differance but I want to hear from some of you SWR players, who have field tested the thing in gigs, and heavy practice, clarity at loud volumes and such.

And if I were to go with the Goliath III what Ohm load would be better go get? I played the 8 Ohm version and it sounded fine, however I was opting to order a 4 Ohm version as I could get more power out of my amp.
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it TOTALLY is worth the extra money for the goliath. whether you want 4 or 8 ohm depends on your head/poweramp and how many other cabs you have.

what are your plans for it?
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I considered the same purchase and went the extra bucks for the Goliath III. It is their professional series.....enough said.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I own Goliath IIs and have played through WM410Ts. The WMs sounded quite nice. I really like my Goliaths.

During their review of the Workingman's 300 Head, BP didn't care much for he cabinets... They recommended getting Goliaths instead.

I suspect that Goliaths will hold their resale value better.

I'd go with 8 ohm cabinets because it allows you more options when using multiple cabinets. Your amp might put out twice the power into a 4 ohm cabinet (not guaranteed though), but the resulting spl increase is only 3dB...
  5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I gut a SWR goliath junior II 2x10 and it kicks totall bass over the workingman 2x10. The only thing i can say about loud volumes is (im not sure if it is the cab or the head) the throw more lows, and distort the tone a little, But not that much. It can easily be fixed by boosting yr highs a little. In my
    oppinion: Get a Goliath-Get VERY Happy
  6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have a Workingman series setup.
    At my last gig I played thru a Pro series setup.
    Get the pro series.:D
  7. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I recently purchased a Goliath III from GC @ $666.00 + Tax. I compared the Goliath III with the Eden D410 XLT and the Ampeg BXT 410HL and in my opinion it sounded much cleaner and louder than both. Money well spent.