Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions About SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dilutedrealityg, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Well I have been doing a little thinking, and I think im gonna a SWR cab.

I have been looking at the Working Mans 4 x 10, and the Goliath 3 (4x10).

There are a few main differances between the two, the Goliath can handle 300 more watts, and to me sounds a bit better, also the Goliath III is offered in 4 Ohm load now.

2 Questions.
    Im wondering if it's worth going with the Goliath III over the Workingmans. I can tell the tonal differance but I want to hear from some of you SWR players, who have field tested the thing in gigs, and heavy practice, clarity at loud volumes and such.

And if I were to go with the Goliath III what Ohm load would be better go get? I played the 8 Ohm version and it sounded fine, however I was opting to order a 4 Ohm version as I could get more power out of my amp.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it TOTALLY is worth the extra money for the goliath. whether you want 4 or 8 ohm depends on your head/poweramp and how many other cabs you have.

what are your plans for it?

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I considered the same purchase and went the extra bucks for the Goliath III. It is their professional series.....enough said.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I own Goliath IIs and have played through WM410Ts. The WMs sounded quite nice. I really like my Goliaths.

During their review of the Workingman's 300 Head, BP didn't care much for he cabinets... They recommended getting Goliaths instead.

I suspect that Goliaths will hold their resale value better.

I'd go with 8 ohm cabinets because it allows you more options when using multiple cabinets. Your amp might put out twice the power into a 4 ohm cabinet (not guaranteed though), but the resulting spl increase is only 3dB...

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I gut a SWR goliath junior II 2x10 and it kicks totall bass over the workingman 2x10. The only thing i can say about loud volumes is (im not sure if it is the cab or the head) the throw more lows, and distort the tone a little, But not that much. It can easily be fixed by boosting yr highs a little. In my
    oppinion: Get a Goliath-Get VERY Happy

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I have a Workingman series setup.
    At my last gig I played thru a Pro series setup.
    Get the pro series.:D

7. EastCoast Ed

EastCoast Ed

Dec 31, 2001
    I recently purchased a Goliath III from GC @ $666.00 + Tax. I compared the Goliath III with the Eden D410 XLT and the Ampeg BXT 410HL and in my opinion it sounded much cleaner and louder than both. Money well spent.