Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions About The Funk Machine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have'nt been able to see "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" yet, possibly they address my questions, but I'd like to know about Jamerson's "Funk Machine" P-Bass. I understand it's whereabouts are unknown. I guess it's safe to assume it was stolen, but what happened? Any details would be greatly appreciated.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    According to the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the Life and Music of Legendary Bassist james Jamerson", the 1962 sunburst Precision Bass known as the Funk Machine was stolen during the last few weeks of Jamerson's life. No other specifc details. :crying:

A sad thought at the present day is that somewhere out there the Funk Machine is probably just gathering dust... unplayed, with its present owner having no idea of its origin.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Not that it would be playable. It was pretty warped back in Jamerson's day (he didn't maintain it, from what I hear. Never set it up once), and wouldn't be much better all these years later. If someone did have, they probably chucked it or put a new neck on it.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Thanks for the info.

A.P.