Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about the Minutemen

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by yawnsie, Nov 23, 2002.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Hello Mike,

I just thought I'd ask two questions. First, I saw a poster in town the other day advertising upcoming gigs at a venue in Liverpool, and one of the gigs was for a band called the Minutemen. It wouldn't happen to be you, would it?

Secondly, I've got to admit that I'm not too familiar with your music, but I've seen a few Minutemen CDs on sale in a record shop. (they seem to be two-albums-on-one-CD type things) I know I might not get the most objective answer from this ( ;)), but which of your albums would you recommend for someone who's a newcomer to your music?

Thanks for your time.

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

Im curious what watt will say about his own music but I havee to recomend

"Double Nickles on the Dime" by the Minutemen

Great album

AJ

3. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Since D Boon (THE Minutemen's singer/guitarist/main songwriter/friend of Mike) died many years ago. I seriously doubt Mike is involved with this band.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    He's still with fIREHOUSE, right?

5. Borntu

Borntu

Nov 12, 2002
    St. George, Utah
    No, I don't think he was ever in Firehouse. They were an 80's hair band.:eek:

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    LOL:D

I remember having to to hold my head up high and say I love fIREHOSE when everyone thoght I meant Firehouse.Man that was not good for my social status.

AJ

7. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yeah, its slightly annoying when people think you are talking about a 80's hair band.

8. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Last I heard he'd broken fIREHOSE up, seems they felt like they'd gone into autopiolit. Currently (last I heard anyways), he is doing solo stuff and playing with J Mascis :D

9. Borntu

Borntu

Nov 12, 2002
    St. George, Utah
    If you wanna know what he's been up to, go to www.hootpage.com
    It's an awesome website with upcoming show dates, pics, poems, ect......;)

10. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

there's a band in england now called _minuteman_ and they have nothing to do w/the band me, d. boon and george hurley were in. someone sent me a mp3 of them and it sounded nothing like us, more like the guitar-pop like coldplay or radiohead happening in england now.

for starters regarding the minutemn, try "double nickels on the dime" (sst records - check http://sstsuperstore.com) cuz that's my favorite. it covers a lot of ground.

on bass, watt