questions about the States... i just had to ask

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 31, 2011.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    So are australians born with that accent or do you have to learn it? lol

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It's kinda weird that there's people in the US that have never been to New York. Sorta like the folks here who have never been to London.

(Yeah, I know NY isn't your capital. But you know what I mean.)

3. I don't. New York is far :confused:

4. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Everett, WA
    It's thousands of miles to get to a crime ridden, filthy, corrupt s***hole that is enormously expensive. I don't get why anyone would go there. And all those assertions are provable based on non-disputed news sources, not ignorant opinion based on not having been there. ;)

5. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Also to the OP, some of those are odd stereotypes. Are you trolling, or do you actually think those things are true?

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've been there lots of times, 3,000 miles or more. It's a great city - one of the "must visit" places on the planet. Best place I've been in the USA.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've been to NY once in my life, but I subscribe to the New York Times. :D

8. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Let me ask you a question too! Where are you from? How old are you? (Just curious) What are the point of views on Americans from where you are on these same questions?

Do most people still drive those large V8 pickups?
    I would not say most people drive these things. Many people do have pickups, but also many people need the bed of the truck for business and such. Still, many people have them just to have them.

Is junk food still a big factor in most peoples lives ie burger and fries?
    I would say yes and no. I know a lot of people that stay away from that type of stuff, but at the same token I know a lot of people that do indulge occasionally. I noticed more people eat it when I am at work because they do not bring lunch so something has to be grabbed quickly.

Is it generally believed that Area 51 is where the Gov found a space ship?
    There is a lot of speculation as to what happened in Area 51. Many people believe it is the site of an alien ship crashing, some believe that is a cover up for government tests. I believe there is part of it that is actually highly radioactive, and I believe there is a part that is monitored by government officials. But who knows... I have never been there.

Are there still weird things happening in the Bermuda triangle?
    I believe so. There are a lot of myths about this area, but I believe there is also some type of scientific explanation behind it. However, I do not know how strong that explanation is; it might just be a theory.

Is skin cancer due to sun exposure not something most Americans care about?
    Most people, in general, like to think the: "Oh that will not happen to me card." Therefore many people remain unconcerned to this aspect. Many people use sun screen when out in the sun on the beach and some do not. Those that do not will end up with a nasty burn and sun poisoning.

Is it easy to bump into a movie or rock star cause there are so many of them over there?
    Depends on where you live. I do not know what an outside out of view on the United States consists of, but I can take a guess. Everyone thinks everywhere is like NYC, LA, Chicago and Hollywood. Lemme tell ya something! Most places between the cities have A LOT of farm life. Granted those areas may have a population of 60,000 (Which is about as many seats as Yankee stadium) but there is much larger masses of land between houses and such. Manhattan houses over 1.5 million people in an area that is about 14 by 3 miles.
    It is possible to bump into some famous musicians. My mom actually ran into Marky Ramone walking in the city. I met John Mayor and Tyra Banks, and also worked in a building where Keith Richards used to live.

Has all the oil spills in the oceans been cleaned up yet?
    I have no idea really. It is no longer mentioned in the news, so I imagine most people forgot about this. It would be no surprise to me if they have not cleaned it all up yet.

Are there still little one sheriff towns down south where you wouldnt go alone? like on Rambo first blood?
    I have no clue. There are communities I have heard about in the north area that have their own private police department. If you drive in that area, they will target you and make some excuse to give you a ticket. With that ticket, even though they are not state police, or even city police, but community police... you WILL have to show up to their own court in their own town and the will trial you how they please.

Can you get a colledge degree just for playing basketball or sport?
    You can get a scholarship on playing sports. I do not know if you can get a "basketball" degree though. There are certain requirements that EVERYONE has to take and pass called GenEds (General Education). If the college or university is really big on sports, less student population, I can imagine the professors passing the really good athletes. As much crap as this may seem, it works out. If that person gets injured or can no longer play a sport, than a person who really studied will have a better opportunity in getting a better job due to their education. (I imagine this, I cannot say it is fact.)

Do they have University over there?...or is that just Colledge? so you go from Highschool into Colledge?
    The way I did it was go to Pre-K, kindergarden, 1-8 (elementary) 9-12 (high school) College. Next step would be graduate school. There is still further education after that.
    Some people do not go to Pre-K. Some schools split elementary school between 1-5 and 6-8. I think these are known as middle school and junior high school. High school is typically 9-12 but there are classes one can take that go to college credit, as well as Junior college. We have universities, colleges, community colleges, trade schools, and online college.

Can anyone get a gun licence as long as you are over the age then go and buy as many guns as you want?
    Not everyone can get a gun. Most states require a background check for criminal behavior. Those who fail do not earn a legal gun. I do not know the limit. There may be one to make sure someone is not building a militia or something.

If you have a gun licence can you carry for self defence reasons?
    I do not think that is able to fly. If that was the cases everyone would be walking around with a gun. The only people that are allowed to carry around a gun are police, owners of a jewelry stores (they can carry extremely highly priced items which make them a target, thus they are allowed to carry a gun for defense.) and other positions that are similar to the jeweler. However, you can do anything illegally that you want as long as you do not get caught.

Can you carry nunchuka or tonfa's for self defence reasons?
    I believe those weapons are considered illegal because they can be used as deadly weapons if properly trained. A person who is considered a black belt in martial arts must warn their attacker that their hands can be considered lethal weapons.

Are there road diners where you can get great plates of steaks and fries all you can drink coffee?
    Yes sir! As well as some great burgers!

Is new york subway safe?
    Yes and no. There are certain subway stops that very sketchy, and there are some that are so populated with people as well as cops. Your best bet is too look like you fit in, and do not stare at too many people in the eyes. Some people take offense that you are staring and consider certain areas as their turf. Many of these people do not care about going to jail, thus harming you would not be a big deal to them if they think they can get away.

Are there still new york gangs like Niky Cruz was involved in?
    I do not know Nicky Cruz. There are still plenty of gangs in NY though. Many people claim territory by street corners.
    There is also a good deal of organized crime that do not deal with thug life, but more of the mobster type of life. That is usually business orientated. If you do not mess with them, then they will not mess with you.

Are there still those vigilante dudes with maroon beret's that patrol the trains...they called them the something Angels
    Well, there are bikers known as Hell's Angels. They are not the same. I have no seen these people and I do not know of them, but that does not mean they do not exist. You see A LOT of things in NYC! People are so accustomed to the things they see, that they become desensitized to it. However a visitor or tourist maybe shocked at many of the things that do go on in that great city.

All these answered are based on what I know and have experienced. They may not reflect everyone else's opinion or experience. I figure if I experienced something, than it must be true to some degree.

9. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011

Crime has gone down. I think LA is worse. It truly is a great city. There are over a million people in Manhattan alone, over 6 million in NYC in general (People forget/don't realize the 5 boroughs are part of NYC). If you are with someone who knows the city, the crowds, the places, and general atmosphere it can be a great place.

10. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I was watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire. One question asked ( I do not remember the exact wording) which US city is the most traveled too/biggest tourist attraction/ most visited/ or most desired to see and the answer was NYC :hyper:

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I've travelled all over the world - something many Americans seem not to do, with all respect - and I can confirm that NYC is one of the world's most impressive, worthwhile and also safest cities I've been to.

You Americans on the West Coast or elsewhere who've never been to some of the most important places in your own country need to get out of the house a bit more. It's not like you even need a passport.

If we Euros can do it en masse, so can you. Parochialism is never good for the education.

12. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Did not realize that most places do not require a gun license. I know PA is a place that all you have to do is pass a background check and live there for a year. I assumed most places required more o_O

To carry a concealed gun you need a license, I do not imagine (although I was previously in error before) that this is easy to obtain? Does job title play a part in this like with my example of the jeweler?

13. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Woo! Good to hear outside US/NY people not bash for once! haha I certainly do feel safe when I leave Penn Station and I see army soldiers with M16s standing guard :D (yes, this is a true story, and there was no state of emergency at the time.) There also constantly announcements on the subway about shady activity and bags left alone. There are also random police check points.

14. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I too have traveled all around the world, been to about all the major cities in Europe.

NYC is THE WORST!!!!

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    "Worst" in what respect? I'm curious.

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Hard to get around, even when you speak the language.
    If you have a mid west or southern accent you are treated like a idiot.

dirty, but a lot of cities are.

Mainly the rude people.

I'll take London any day
    The woman think the mid west accent is cute.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've been to London. It's right between Sarnia and Toronto somewhere..... I like Guelph better than London, Sleeman's brewery is there......

18. NY blows. I hate the people, mostly the crowd. Dirty too.

NYC is our London.

19. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Most yankees per square foot.

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    +1
    I live an hour away and share that opinion.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021