questions about the States... i just had to ask

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I have to admit. A lot of buttholes in NYC. I can be one of them. Whenever I see those big red double Decker tour buses. I give the NY salute (middle finger) and yell: "Welcome to New York!!"

Yeah, its rude, but we have to deal with tourists all the time. It's annoying to be walking in a busy area and you have people standing around with blank faces holding up the foot traffic. There are enough people here... Tourists can be kinda irksome. I will usually only be rude to the tourists on the buses though. Deep down, I think they want to see someone act that way, ya know? I am like a walking attraction on the street.

As for getting around, its really easy if someone told you the trick. Most of Manhattan is a grid. There are mostly streets and avenues. (There are also regular street names, and letters [alphabet city])

Avenues. They run north and south. 1-5 (i think) is east side 6-11/12 is west side.
    Streets run east and west and are typically one way. If you are on an even numbered street, the direction the traffic flows is east. (even=east) odd street traffic flows west. (oddballs go to Cali).

:D

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I don't know how to edit a post on my phone but I've been quoited so it doesn't matter.

I should have said my least favorite large city.
    I did not mean it is the worst city there is.

I am sorry if I offended anyone . There are a lot of cool people there too :)

3. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Question about Australia...

Does everyone say oi?

Is most of it worthless desert?

Did the front fall off?(If you don't know, You tube it)

Is crocodile dundee Paul Hogan still alive?

What was the crocodile hunter on?

What aborigines called? Native Australians?

Why exactly did the dingo eat that baby?

Insert random stereotype question here?

4. Touché my good fellow.

Much better than feeding the trolls.

PS only been to New York once but loved it.

5. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    I would like some answers to my questions as well since I'll never get this time of my life back.

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I've been to New York a few times and I love it, it's hard to beat times square here in the NE. Dirty? Where are you going? It's a big city afterall, if you don't want to spend the money then you're better off going somewhere else but if you have a couple hundred bucks to spend (after hotel reservations) you can definately have a old time. Times square is free, central park is free, the statue of liberty is free... You only really have to pay what you want.

7. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    It seems like people are mixing up area 51 with Roswell. Roswell is where the alien crash supposedly happened. The wreckage and alien corpse were sent to wright Patterson air force base.
    Area 51 is out in Nevada, and it is believed that the US military may be attempting to reverse engineer alien technology there.

I watch a lot of those UFO specials on the history channels.
    Sorry for the hijack, now back to your regularly scheduled thread

8. You do realize how big the U.S. is, right? My friend said it took him 8 or 9 hours to drive from London to Aberdeen (he could be talking out of his @$$ though). I can drive 8 hours west and never leave my state. Add one part expensive airfare, another part distance, and combine that with little vacation time, and you get the sad equation of not getting to travel as often I'd like. :(

I could be wrong, but as I understand it airfare tends to be cheaper in Europe than in the U.S.

I yearn for the day I can visit Europe and the more far reaches of the U.S. (such as New York, where I've never been :p), but it gets friggin' expensive.

9. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    that they do mate, that they do :D

never been to New York, no real desire to.

most of the cities that I've visited (or are nearby) in the US have been pretty crappy and run down. Washington DC, Louisville, St. Louis, Dallas, Sacramento, LA, Charleston, they all kinda sucked.

The few nice ones that I enjoyed/enjoy are San Diego, Irvine, Portland, and Seattle. Very nice places with lots to see and do.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm more amazed by people who live in the US and have never been to Grand Canyon but that's a different thread.

I'm one of those West Coasters who has never been to New York...I've never even been east of the Rocky Mountains! I'm a bit misanthropic though and when I get time off to travel, I much prefer to go to places where people aren't...and that ain't New York! :p

There is that distance thing too. For comparison, if you started at the Strait of Gibraltar in Spain and drove to Moscow, Russia, you'd still be about 400 miles (640 km) short of my distance to New York.

11. I'm cereal.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I still drive one, and won't stop no matter how much gas costs.
    I don't care about skin cancer from the sun.
    I live near some of those type of towns, and there are quite a few where I just moved from.

-Mike

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Are you from the future?

14. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    relative to the time of your post, yes.

15. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    hahha opps! oh well... at least i got the NY answers correct ;)

Thanks for informing me of my misinformed self!

16. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    NYC is much cleaner than it used to be. I was there only a few weeks ago and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm pretty sure there's no other city in the world like New York. Just electric - so much culture and excitement. Oh, and I found the people there to be very polite and engaging for the most part (as has been the case in nearly all of the places I've been to in the U.S.). Now if you want rude - go to Paris :p

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    - Do toilets really flush counter-clockwise in Australia?

- Is tramping as fun as it sounds?

- Is this a knife?

[​IMG]

18. Is "Foster's" actually australian for "piss"?

19. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Can you get laid wearing a hat like this?

[​IMG]

20. We are working on no-flush toilets here, unlike the American loos which have so much water in them they could double as a swimming pool.

No, you misheard that - must be the accent. It is actually Australian for "tastes similar to but slightly worse than piss".

I can :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021