questions about the States... i just had to ask

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Sterrrling

Sterrrling Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    This is incredibly entertaining to read while at work...uh, my question for the Australian is do small children wear skinned animals and grunt to communicate until a certain age?

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I don't know if that's a cultural thing or just individual. If one of you American johnnies offered a suggestion for me to visit somewhere in my country that you had enjoyed, I'd thank you for the idea and seriously look into checking it out. But that's just me. ;)

3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

:D

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Is the Australian version of foreplay still the old chestnut of "Brace yourself, Sheila - I'm coming in dry"? :)

5. HAHAHHA!

6. Well, I dunno about NY, but in Philadelphia...
    vlcsnap-2011-11-01-14h28m54s143.png

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Native Angeleno who grew up in the shadow of one of the richest Black communities in the union here.

The Monster trucks disappeared temporarily when gas prices spiked before the last general election. As prices returned to normal the 1% put their Prius away and got out the luxery truck.

Area 51 is seen mostly as a joke, and used as a cover for SF shows like Stargate and Independence Day

I played with Ray Charles son at the local YMCA. My cousin worked for Motown until they sold their publishing division. In South Central I ran into Hall of Famer Eddie Murray and Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son on my route. When I moved to West LA there was Keb Mo and Lennie James. Before Ali had his jaw broken by Ken Norton he ran with some of the kids from the neighborhood just like he did in Zaire in the documentary.

The only person I know who got a carry permit in 20 years was Police Chief Willie Williams because he could not pass the California state police exam. But just about anyone can own a gun. Other weapons or tools which could be used as a weapon are also illegal to carry.

Since the baby bust and 3 strikes laws LA gangs are not the problem they were in the 80s and 90s but Black and Latino gangs are starting to beef now so there is a racial component.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    A university is a collection of colleges. A college is a subset of a university. For example, I go to the University of Tennessee, but I'm in the College of Business.

9. I don't know of any jurisdiction in the US that has MORE than one sheriff. Now they may or may not have deputy sheriffs under the sheriff. No limit on how many Rambos you can have in any given jurisdiction, however.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Actually, we have A LOT of no flush toilets, usually found in questionable places, like public bathrooms in Newport Beach.

11. The first time I went to the US I got off the plane at LAX, and I didn't know how much water you guys used. I went into the first cubicle, thought "Damn, it's blocked". Second cubicle, same thing. And so on. Made it to the hotel where I figured things out.

Plus worked out that your light switches are all upside down. Up should be "off" like it is in all civilised countries.

And as for the people in McDonald's telling my I couldn't have chips with my burger when I can see the picture of them on the menu board.....who ever heard of "fish and fries"???

P.S. If you come to Australia you should try the McOz burger. A burger without beetroot is incomplete, and a burger with pickles is a travesty.

12. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The horror of eating a cute little koala!
    j/k - lambs are even cuter and they're yummy.
    Nobody eats koalas, so they either taste bad or they're protected.

13. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    :p

BTW an excellent way to distinguish a "free pass" athlete from an actual student is to count the number of syllables they use when speaking the word "athlete"

The 'free passers' generally use three syllables, as in ath-uh-lete

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

:D

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021