Questions about voodoo lab ISO 5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maanbo220, Mar 18, 2021.

1. maanbo220

maanbo220

Dec 18, 2017
    Hi, everyone, I'm a user of ISO 5 and I really enjoy using it.
    Now I want to use it in a 220v country(mine was 110v version), so I'm looking for a converter to power it and I have 2 questions.

1. What’s the maximun power output of ISO 5? The converter can withstand up to 50 watts, is it enough?

2. I want to buy a small converter so that I can save space for my pedal board, but it seems that this converter don't have ground wire. Can I use it to power my ISO 5? Will it cause problems like safe risk or noise?

Here are some pictures of the converter.
    IMG_20210315_223116.jpg IMG_20210315_223305.jpg

Thank you!!

2. maanbo220

maanbo220

Dec 18, 2017
    Anyone here?

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    From the ISO 5 user manual.

Model and input power are marked on the bottom of unit. ​

Look at your unit and buy a converter that exceed the requirements of the ISO 5. I suggest 2:1.

Unfortunately the markings on the unit may only indicate the voltage.

If the markings on the unit do not clear up your question. Send Voodoo Lab a message. In my experience they tend to be fairly responsive.

4. My 2017 ISO 5 doesn't state watts on the unit. I'd be surprised if it was more than 50 but definitely shoot them an email.

5. maanbo220

maanbo220

Dec 18, 2017
    I did, they didn’t reply to me, that's why I'm asking here

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Watts = volts x amps. I don’t think 50 W will be an adequate range.

The lack of a ground wire is a problem, it could be a safety risk.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO if you are looking to buy a step down transformer, put the money towards a new pedal power supply.

If you already own the 50W step down trasnformer. Keep pinging Voodoo Lab.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I believe the output current and voltage calculates to 10.2W. I would expect the input requirements to be higher, but no idea how much.

I agree the lack of a ground is somewhat of a concern. The case of the power supply is the primary hazard. The outputs should be isolated (floating), providing everything is working OK. However, the ground is in case things are not working properly.

9. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You’re right, I was sleepy when I posted and I didn’t do the math correctly in my head. 50 is plenty.

Wasnex likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022