Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about warwick thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gyellow, Sep 29, 2004.

1. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    I've searched around for this info but haven't had any luck finding it.

I'm looking into getting a 4 string NT thumb and was wondering about a few things.

What is the difference in sound between the older wenge/bubinga necks and the newer ovangkol/bubinga necks?

When did they switch the electronics and the nut? I want the newer electronics but would prefer having the brass nut.

How much would it cost to have the nut switched if need be?

Thank you.

Any other info you have is also appreciated.

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I have yet to play a warwick with an Ovankol neck that I like... whereas I've yet to find a warwick with a wenge neck that I didn't like!

Weird...

Appearance wise I also prefer the wenge/bubinga combination. Sound wise - I've never made it far enough to play a newer one through an amp, but the older ones are just soooooo good. Aim for an early 90's one if you can... that was the golden era for warwick IMHO.

Warwick used to sell the brass adjust-a-nut on it's own so an upgrade shouldn't be difficult - see the warwick site for whether they still sell 'em. Other than the purchase of a nut the actual fitting should be a breeze...

3. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    Thanks for the info.

May I ask why you didn't like the ovangkol neck warwick?

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The ovangkol just doesn't feel the same as wenge under the thumb. Also, I think the shape of warwicks necks have changed since the early 90's and have become less comfortable to play... YMMV

5. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    Warwick just made better basses back when they did the wenge/bubinga necks on all the basses.
    They went from a small shop in Germany to a production line shop that has a machine do just about every thing.

6. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    You can definitely switch the nut out...I went through Bass Central who had the brass just-a-nut drop shipped to me from DBG, then I did the conversion myself. It's easy to do but you'll need to shim the brass nut...I actually made the shim out of the old nut. If you want more info on how I did that let me know and I'll do my best to explain. By the way I have a Streamer LX5 with the Ovankol neck and I love it and don't find it uncomfy at all....but then again I prefer chunkier necks

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I had an older model Fortress Masterman that had a wenge neck and it was great! I now have an Elrick NJS 5 that has a wenge neck and it's great. I also have a Thumb 6 string that has an ovangkol neck and guess what...

It's great too!!

Do I like wenge better?? Yes...

Do I think any less of my Thumb 6 because it has and ovangkol neck?? No..