1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions about wiring a switch and grounding (n00b to electronics)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by autodidact, Jan 7, 2012.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Alright so long story short I picked up a crappy Rogue bass a few years back and am just now deciding to mess with it (rattle can refinish, different bridge,new pickup, yadda yadda) Anyway I originally wanted to wire the pickup straight to the jack and just have no controls at all, I barely use them anyway on a P. But then I had an idea to put a 2 way switch in there to act as an "on/off" switch.

Here are the questions:

-Considering this is going to be my first time soldering and working on this stuff, how difficult is it to install that switch?

-On the spare parts bridge I had laying around I lost the wire that goes under it to ground the pickup, what could I use in lieu of that wire to ground the bass?

I searched and found the straight to Jack instructions but the search function is not as productive on the mobile app so any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    This is easy. For the switch, you need a SPST swicth, but you can use half a DPDT which maybe more common.

The center lug connects to the hot and one of the outside lugs goes to ground. Thats it.

For the bridge ground wire, any piece of wire will do as long as it fits through the hole.

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Thank you! You're always really helpful when people have questions on here, you rock brother!

Now all I gotta do is find a schematic and its off to the races :bassist:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Glad to help.

Now that I'm home here's a kill switch schematic:

Wiring Diagram

This is a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

Maybe Line6Man will show up with something simpler.

5. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
  6. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    not that exact one but the same premise

7. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    not that exact one but the same premise

8. I've still never figured out why Seymour Duncan has such an absurdly overcomplicated killswitch wiring scheme. All it takes is a single pole and single throw, on a passive bass.

4202980293_b56fb75135_o.

9. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    It might just be because I can't see the whole picture but I'm having a harder time seeing this :\