Questions about Yamaha Attiude Ltd II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm most likely getting a job as a pizza delivery driver here very soon and I'm going to upgrade from my MIM P. I'm strongly leaning toward the Yamaha Attitude Ltd II right now but I have some concerns. My main concern is it's lack of a tone knob for the split coil pu. I actually use the tone knob on my MIM P. I usually roll the treble off by about 3/4 to give it a more mellow/smooth tone. If I turn the treble knob all the way up, which I assume is the same as having no tone knob, the sound becomes very brittle and noisy (more finger noise). It loses all of its vintage quality :( . Will the attitude sound like this or is it just my crappy MIM? Is the Yamaha capable of old school P-bass tones? BTW, I'll be stringing it BEAD with TI Jazz flats. Appreciate any help guys. This is a big investment for me.

2. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    If you like the P so much, why don't you stick with it?

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

There's some serious issues with my MIM P---> Click on my name and look at my past posts. I want a quality passive P in the $1000 range. My only two options really are the Yamaha Atittude and Fender American Std. P. I don't feel like playing russian roulette with Fenders quality control again.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the attitude has two output jacks you know... one for the split and the other for a dimarzio in the neck. My friend has one that he put a Kahler on and it is one of the greatest basses i've ever played, for the price. not saying it's cheep, but it's a great bass that can get pretty nasty with some distortion, a la sheehan.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, I have a Yamaha Attitude X - the 10 year Ltd edition one.

I haven't found the lack of tone on the P pickup to be a problem. As I don't have 2 amps, I generally play with the output if the pickups blended. This gives a nice fat full sound. There is a also a tone control for the woofer, and a treble cut. A nice bass with plenty of tones available - although due to the position of the woofer pickup, very awkward to slap (although it is a sig series bass, and Billy Sheehan ain't renowned for his slapping!).

Your best bet is to try one before you buy it - that way you can see if they've got the tones you want.

6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    BUMP :D

7. Does he just call it the woofer for fun, or is it a special type of pickup?

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I read on some other posts from people that own them that the neck pu is a Dimarzio Willpower. There is no "woofer" pu made by Dimarzio. I don't know why they call it that. Yamahas website really sucks, very skimpy on the info about their basses :spit: .

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes, though I believe on some of the earlier ones it was the Model One/DP120. Meausring the pole spacing will tell (WP=2", M1=1 7/8)
    Because being right at the end of the fretboard, it picks up a lot of low frequency info, and less higher harmonics that if it were closer to the bridge, sort of like a "woofer" right?