Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions about Yamaha Attiude Ltd II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm most likely getting a job as a pizza delivery driver here very soon and I'm going to upgrade from my MIM P. I'm strongly leaning toward the Yamaha Attitude Ltd II right now but I have some concerns. My main concern is it's lack of a tone knob for the split coil pu. I actually use the tone knob on my MIM P. I usually roll the treble off by about 3/4 to give it a more mellow/smooth tone. If I turn the treble knob all the way up, which I assume is the same as having no tone knob, the sound becomes very brittle and noisy (more finger noise). It loses all of its vintage quality :( . Will the attitude sound like this or is it just my crappy MIM? Is the Yamaha capable of old school P-bass tones? BTW, I'll be stringing it BEAD with TI Jazz Flats. Appreciate any help guys. This is a big investment for me.

2. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    If you like the P so much, why don't you stick with it?

3. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

There's some serious issues with my MIM P---> Click on my name and look at my past posts. I want a quality passive P in the $1000 range. My only two options really are the Yamaha Atittude and Fender American Std. P. I don't feel like playing russian roulette with Fenders quality control again.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    the attitude has two output jacks you know... one for the split and the other for a dimarzio in the neck. My friend has one that he put a Kahler on and it is one of the greatest basses i've ever played, for the price. not saying it's cheep, but it's a great bass that can get pretty nasty with some distortion, a la sheehan.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, I have a Yamaha Attitude X - the 10 year Ltd edition one.

I haven't found the lack of tone on the P pickup to be a problem. As I don't have 2 amps, I generally play with the output if the pickups blended. This gives a nice fat full sound. There is a also a tone control for the woofer, and a treble cut. A nice bass with plenty of tones available - although due to the position of the woofer pickup, very awkward to slap (although it is a sig series bass, and Billy Sheehan ain't renowned for his slapping!).

Your best bet is to try one before you buy it - that way you can see if they've got the tones you want.

6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  7. Does he just call it the woofer for fun, or is it a special type of pickup?

8. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I read on some other posts from people that own them that the neck pu is a Dimarzio Willpower. There is no "woofer" pu made by Dimarzio. I don't know why they call it that. Yamahas website really sucks, very skimpy on the info about their basses :spit: .

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yes, though I believe on some of the earlier ones it was the Model One/DP120. Meausring the pole spacing will tell (WP=2", M1=1 7/8)
    Because being right at the end of the fretboard, it picks up a lot of low frequency info, and less higher harmonics that if it were closer to the bridge, sort of like a "woofer" right?