Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions before I front the money for a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucasbm, Oct 25, 2004.

1. lucasbm

lucasbm

Oct 25, 2004
    I am originally a guitar player. However, I would love to be able to play bass as well. I am looking into getting a decent bass guitar. I plan on spending between $350 - $400, and would love some suggestions. I play more in the rock/metel genre.

Active or Passive?
    What brand is normally good when you look into intermediate basses?

Basses I am currently looking at:

Peavey Grind Bass 4 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511363/

Schecter Omen-4 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/513122/

Schecter C-4 (Would have to save up a little more money) Http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/513120/

Are these good basses, what would you suggest? Thanks for your posts!

2. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I have owned a couple of Schecters and liked them all. I love this fourm, but there are alot of "bass snobs" here. Just meaning they look down on low to medium priced basses. For that money, I'd go with either a schecter, ibanez or bc rich. I have an 80's bc rich warlock and love it. It has the best neck I have ever played. Because there are SO many Ibanez's out there, you can pick up a really nice, used, active, thru neck bass in your price range. Just buy what you like and play hard and fast. Later Joe

3. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Yamaha BB series is awesome. My housemate has a BB 5-string and it's a great bass.

If you're thinking Peavey, I'll recommend the Fury over the Grind. Grinds can be hit-or-miss in terms of fit & finish (which can occasionally be rough) and they're as heavy as anvils. The Fury is an awesome bass. I tried a Fury 6-string once and it looked, felt, sounded, and played like a bass costing much much more. I couldn't believe it was listing for only $375 at the store I tried it at. The active electronics are surprisingly good for the price. (I probably would've bought that bass, but a Samick Fairlane with a neck to die for in my hands took my heart instead. Samicks can be hit or miss with people, but I think the upper end of the Fairlane line as well as the Cobra and Tabu basses are surprisingly good.)

Your back will thank you for NOT getting a Grind.

The Spector Performer series is awesome as well. I love Spector basses. They balance well, have comfortable bodies, play great, sound great, and are well made. Passive electronics.

There are a bunch of good Ibanezes in that price range too. However, they're definitely try before you buy because their neck profiles are either love it/hate it. I personally prefer Yamaha's neck profiles to Ibanez, but I have no issues otherwise with the previous Ibanezes I've owned.

Passive may be better in that price range, though. Actives can be had at low prices, but oftentimes they may use cheaper components. That, and you don't have to worry about batteries dying on you because you forgot to change it regularly.

And if you're not above buying preowned, you may find a sweet deal. Sometimes buying a higher-end bass preowned is better than buying a lower end bass new.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    No one here "looks down" on lesser equipment firstly. They may have much much better equipment, and like to show it off (face it, you have a $2000 bass, a $5000 rig, you'd do the same), but that does not mean they look down on you, or think less of you due to that. Everyone starts somewhere, and I'd give it a guess as to say that probably 80% of us on here started on something "low end", or "mid ranged". I've yet to meet anyone here that's a snob at all. People on here know A LOT about the instrument and such. Don't consider them snobs, maybe you should listen to what they say, cos if you do, you'll also one day be able to have all that info behind you as well.

Ray

5. lucasbm

lucasbm

Oct 25, 2004
    After reading reviews I decided to go with the Schecter C-4 :bassist: I got it from music123.com instead of musician's friend because music123 had it in stock and ready to go. Not to mention music123 knocked off about $25. (heh, every littlebit helps)

Thanks for your replies

6. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    The Schecter will treat you well. Congrats on the purchase.

7. lucasbm

lucasbm

Oct 25, 2004
    I've been playing my C-4 non stop. I love the way it sounds. I also got the boss bass overdrive petal and it sound great as well.

My Reviews: (ratings 1-5 :) )

Sound: :) :) :) :) :)
    Appearence: :) :) :) :) :) (I want it to have my children)
    Ease of Play: :) :) :) :) (Has a really great neck.)
    size :) :) :) :) :)

In short, I like my C-4 just a little bit :smug:

8. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    For my money I'd look for a deal on a used:

Lakland 44-01

Ken Smith Design 704 or 604

All represent good value even if you have to scrape together an extra hundred to make it happen.

Have fun.

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I second the Peavey Fury. Great player and great fendery tone. Don't rule out a MIM P or J bass either! I mean.....if Steve Harris uses a P for metal......ya know? Used Ebay would prolly be your best bet though.
    -Bazz-

10. Yeah a P bass with a really hot pup, yet passive will cut through nicely. I always thought those Mark Hopus signature basses were cool, simple and effective.

But he needs to decide if he is into the active sound or not.

The Goth T-bird nikki sixx thing is cool looking too and is within his budget.

I vote passive pups though.

11. I bought a Ibanez SRX300 for my son on his 10th birtday last weak, seems to be a very good bass for the price, I payed like 250$ or something for it.