1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions concerning the EMG MMTW setup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stinsok, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    First, do the pickup and preamp come together as a package? In photos it's shown with 2 controls. They are volume/coil select and tone? Did you experience any problems with installation? Thanks!
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!!

Aug 5, 2009
    It does not come with an outboard preamp, nor do you HAVE to use one.

I actually find EMG's solderless system more confusing than just normal wiring, but that's just me. And I did interface mine with a preamp, and with a different jack, so I had to figure a lot of stuff out on my own (although EMG tech support is fantastic and will help...I just wanted to figure it out myself).
  3. rwkeating

Oct 1, 2014
    EMG active pickups (like the MMTW) have the pre-amp built into the pickup. So yes, everything you need is included.

I've used the TWX without any problems. It is very similar to the MMTW (3 coils selectable in pairs by a push pull vol pot) and I had no problems with it. Just follow the instruction and make sure the connector are on correctly and you will be all set.
    Stinsok likes this.