Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions Concerning the MTD 535 and Streamer Stage II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    What is the string spacing on the MTD and Streamer.

I know that the Streamer can have an incredibly warm tone. What is the MTD 535 tone like? Can be hit the low low warms and the bright highs, without going raspy? Also, if needed, can it go raspy? i.e. how versatile?

Also, what are the price ranes on the two?

Ive seen a Streamer Stage 2 for 1600 at its lowest.

Thx for info :)

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    got my ss2 for 1500 :D

i'd say they're pretty different. ones a bolt on with a lighter weight body and barts, the other is a neck thru with a heavy body, heavy hardware, and MEC's.

the ss2 5 has 16.5mm spacing at the bridge if i recall correctly. 4 string has 19mm (again IIRC)

don't know anythign about MTD's, but my ss2 is still bass #1 out of everything i've played so far.

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    The MTD535 tone all depends on what you get.

Mine has a tulipwood (poplar) body and a maple burl top, with the wenge/wenge neck/fingerboard.

The tone is VERY versatile, but its default tone is smooth with a very crisp, boarderline sizzling high end. The on board EQ is very flexible, but as I run my other basses (Fender's and Zons) flat on my Eden WT400+, I have to turn down teh trble and boost the mids a tad (4 clicks). There are a lot of harmonics to work with in the tone, and as such, you can coax just about any tone out of it. The bass is very light, and incorporates the Buzz Feiten tuning system, which is like stretched tuning on a piano so the bass is more in tune high up on the neck.

I have another MTD on order with an alder body and a maple neck/ebony fingerboard, and I expect this bass to sound a little less snappy, more towards a J-bass tone.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The MTD 535 has 3/4" (Fender standard) spacing at the bridge. Even with the 35" scale, my 535 is the best-playing bass in my collection. But then, I dislike narrow spacing such as on the Warwick SS2 5 (that's why I have the SS1 5). If you prefer narrower spacing, you'll want the Warwick SS2.

As for tone, the 535 might be my most musical bass: that is, it's really hard to get bad tone from it even when radically playing with the EQ. It is extremely warm. My Warwick and Modulus (w/EMG) are better at gnarlier tones, but the MTD can do that too... and quite easily when using a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.

5. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Crap! The SS2 is narrow spacing? I thought it was far apart.

To give an idea of the string spacing im looking for, Id go with an Ibanez BTB 5. I think that has like 3/4" spacing, but Im not sure.

I love Dirk Lance of Incubus's warm tone, I want a tone like that, but with possiblity for grundgy tone like Tool too

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think a warwick would do everything you ask for tonally, but yeah the spacing is narrow. maybe a broad neck streamer LX or streamer stage 1?

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    But tonally, the SS2 I like what Ive heard. But if its narrow spacing, I cant do that, drat.

My fingers are much too big for anything under 3/4 of an inch.

8. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad