Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions for Bag End users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cb56, Sep 22, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm still getting used to using Bag End cabs when I'm not using my big heavy Ampeg. Here's what I'd like to know.
    1.) What cabs do you use?

2.) What kind of amp are you using with them?

3.) How many watts per cab?

4.) What kind of music/playing style do you play?

5.) Any tips on how far to set the rear ported cabs from a wall or corner for best bass response?

6.) Have you used them for outdoor gigs on a large stage with no walls behind them and been happy with the sound? (volume/low end)

7.) Feel free to post pics of your rig or offer up any other suggestion and/or observations on these cabs.

8.) Have a nice day :D

2. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I use the S-15 with a GK 700RB/210 combo. I've used this setup playing with a progressive metal band, college pep band, and loud Polish-style polka band and it was plenty in all situations.

Like Josh, gear has come and gone, but the Bag End has remained a permanent fixture of my setup. The bottom end blew away the SWR Goliath III cab I used to have!:cool:

3. I have both the S15D and the D10XD. (2-10s)
    Whenever I do an outside gig I take both cabs and it's more than enough power.
    I'm in a 4 piece rock/pop band.
    I love the clear sound that Bag ends have.
    IMO,
    Only JBL's come close to Bag Ends.
    The 10s compliment the 15 and provide that nice round bottom.
    Weight wise, (under 40 lbs.) The S15D is the one I take out most of the time.
    I usually set the 15 next to the Drums directly on the floor around 3 feet from the wall when possible.
    I recently aquired a Walter Woods Super High Power amp.(600/800 watts @ 8 to 4 Ohms)
    It's got the most versitle eq out there. You can easily dail in any room you need to. And at 12lbs soaking wet, What a light weight combination!
    The GK 400RB is also a good mate to the Bag Ends.
    Ive been eyeing up the Bag End 12 at my local Music store. I better not.....I'm out of control already!!!

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1.) A pair of S15-Ds.

2.) A Carvin DCM1000.

3.) Normally 500W each, running in mono bridged mode.

4.) Mostly rock, some blues, all poorly.

5.) Still experimenting with this one myself. But I have noticed they are sensitive to placement.

6.) Nope.

7.) No current pic, and the digital camera is packed. I love these cabs!

8.) I will, thank you!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

S15-D with a custom 1-12 My new rig thread. I have a D10BX-D on the way, just for grins.

AMP BH-420 420w

Wide range... anything from Funk to Waltzes.

5.) Any tips on how far to set the rear ported cabs from a wall or corner for best bass response?

Not yet. So far I've gotten great results from less than a foot away to about ten feet away.

6.) Have you used them for outdoor gigs on a large stage with no walls behind them and been happy with the sound? (volume/low end)

I haven't played mine outdoors yet. I'm actually considering building a small collapsible V-shaped panel to direct the sound forward when used outdoors. Could be interesting.

7.) Feel free to post pics of your rig or offer up any other suggestion and/or observations on these cabs.

Love mine.

8.) Have a nice day

Okay.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    1) S15B-D & D10B-D
    2)QSC RMX2450
    3) The 115 I run 500watts and the 210 I run 750watts (8ohm and 4ohm though a stereo PA).
    4) FunkJazzRock
    5) I never had them less than 3feet from a wall behind them in a live setting though the S15B-D is front-ported.
    6) I have used them ourdoors in two gigs. One was without a PA. Sound was fine. Volume was fine.
    7) I've had the rig posted so many times here...

[​IMG]

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    S15DX (coax) + SWR WM 210T daisy chained
    Mackie 1400i
    1 side = 750W into both cabs (so 4 ohms)
    Rock/Pop
    Doesn't make as big a difference as I thought it would
    Not outside yet

I love this rig.

My soundman says the treble (only from the BE, the tweeter is off on the SWR) is very loud. He often tells me I'm overpowering the PA (Mackie powered cabs w/sub). I don't think he knows what he's talking about - he's a guitarist who runs sound for us cheap. I do have more treble than a lot of guys, but it's called modern tone. Not everybody is going for Jamerson.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I used to have an S15-D with a 400 watt EV 15B speaker. When I powered it with a GK400RB (130 watts @ 8 ohms) it was great for filling small to medium rooms with sound. I wasn't tremendously satisfied using it all by itself at outdoor gigs, but whenever I used it as an extension for a GK 200MB 1-12" or Carvin Pro Bass 200 1-12" combo (indoors or out) I always had great results, even though the cab was only getting about 50 watts.

I'd place it closer to the wall or on the floor if I needed more low end. I was always really impressed by the punch and portability of this little cab and I'm considering getting either an S15 X-D (coax) or Euphonic Audio CXM112. Anybody heard these two side by side? I dig the EA 110 coax and I hear that the 112 is considerably more potent. While I liked the sound I got from the Bag End with the 4 strings I used to play I'm wondering how the little rear-ported BE handles a low B by itself. I'll be using an Eden WT400, good for about 250 watts @ 8 ohms.

9. SG2984sl

SG2984sl

Sep 24, 2002
    Indiana
    I've considered trying one but can't find a place to buy them, where the heck do you find them??

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought mine here,

http://bassnw.com/

but there are other places too. Actually you can find some used right now in the TB classified section. There are also some used for sale at bassgear.com.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Me too. Great people!

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Bag End is the best cabinet acquisition I have ever made. My Eden D410XLT is for sale. Here's the detail.

Cabs
    : S15D - use this with my electrics - 4 and 5 string
    : S12D - use this with my upright
    : For really big rooms I use both but that is rarely necessary
    : I found the S15D a little too boomy in the bottom for my upright and the S12D a little lacking on the B string on my RB5. That's why I have both and they are perfect for each application. Don't get me wrong though the 15 is still "good" with a URB and the 12 is still "good" with an electric fiver but I was looking for "perfect".
    : both cabs are 200 watts 8 ohms

Amp

: Eden WT-500 Highwayman
    : I use it bridged at 500 watts when I use either as a single cab
    : I use it stereo at 175 watts each side 8 ohms when I use the two cabs together. The increase in "air space" more than compensates for the drop in power.
    : The WT-500 has two power sources so it's not like hooking up two cabs to a mono amp.

Music and Venues

: S15D with electrics - Classic R&B, Motown, Rockin' Blues in small, medium and large size bars/pubs. This is a fairly loud band and the single 15 NEVER fails to punch through the mix clearly.

:S12D with upright- Jazz standards trio in medium to large restaurants.Low volume while dinner is served...kick it up a little after the dinner crowd leaves.

: Don't do outdoor gigs but if we did I would not hesitate to use the two cabs together.

Positioning
    : I seem to have the best result about 6 to 8 inches from the wall. Having said that, if I moved it out six feet I doubt if the audience would know the difference.

Like I said the Eden cab is for sale. Not that I don't like the Eden but the Bag Ends are featherweights and I have not sacrificed anything tonally on the electrics and have actually improved sigificantly on the URB (the Eden 410 is a horrible URB cab).

All in all - you'll like Bag End

13. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    head: mesa/boogie 400+
    cabinet: bag end d10b-xd

it's plenty loud for a 3 piece jamband/rock thing. but with a 2nd guitarist, i'm thinking of getting rid of this and getting a 4x10. for some reason, this cab is 4 ohms where as the other bag end cabs are 8 ohms. i don't want to mix cab brands, and i don't want to mix ohms with a tube head. wonder why bag end does that? would love to add a 15" to this, but all they have is 8 ohms.

14. Jambassist has brought up something that I have pondered with my rig!
    I too have the S15D with the D10X-D.
    The 15 is 8 ohms while the 10s are 4.
    What do we have when we mix these cabs, 6 ohms?
    And if so, is this O.K. to do.
    I have only played out once with this setup using both cabs and had no problems.And they we absolutely magnificent.
    BTW,
    I'm using the walter Woods "Super High Power" mono amp. I believe 4 ohms is the lowest that amp will take.:confused:

15. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    When you mix an 8ohm & a 4ohm you get 2.67 ohms. If your amps min ohm rating is 4 ohms you could be in trouble.

Peace.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My guess is that they intend for the cabs to be used alone. The majority of amps will operate with a minimum of 4 ohms.

I just got one of these cabs, sounds great but I didn't ask about the impedance. I planned on using it with another cab but I can't because of the impedance.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Well I guess I should chime in here now since I got my second cab.

Ampeg B4r
    Bag End S15-D
    Bag End S15-CUS
    see thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=60096

I seems like nobody is afraid to give these cabs more power than the 200 watts they are rated at.
    I can bridge my amp and give them 500 watts each OR run one cab off of each side of my amp full range giving them 200 watts each. OR I can run both Bag Ends on one side of my amp gining them 175 watts each and use my Carvin 210 wedge (4ohm) on the other side at 350 watts. I may think about adding a BE 210 cab at some time in the future. Or maybe not

18. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    cb56 -There is a school of thought that suggests that the best way to get maximum headroom and tonal capability out of a given cabinet is to feed it 2 to 2 1/2 time it's rated power handling capability.
    When you do that though volume and EQ caution becomes more critical.

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yeah I have heard that here also and have tried it (500 watts per cab) sounded great! I used both my Bag End 15's and my carvin 210 last night. The new cab S15-CUS added tons of low end. :D

20. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    - two D10X-D's, S15X-D, D12-D

- WT-800, PLX2402/Navigator, PLX1602/Demeter

- D10's = 400w, D12 = 700w, S15 = can't remember.

- Blues, some funk and R & B.

- they seem to work about anywhere for me

- just did a festival last weekend and the D12 sounded great on stage. Much better than the 410xlt that was the backline at the festival the day before.

- they are built like the proverbial brick$h*t house. Customer service is one of the best that I've ever dealt with. They take their product very seriously and I'm sure they under-rate their specs.