1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions for bass players from San Antonio and Austin?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Autbra, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Autbra

Autbra Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Nashville Tn
    Mike Lull, Mesa Boogie, D'addario Strings endorser
    I'm a Nashville guy that has grown a little tired of playing pop country. Thinking about relocating your way. Any advice? What's the scene like over there?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hope you like pop country.

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    But seriously, folks, on any given weekend night there are something like 250 venues with live music in Austin. It's everything from jazz to rock to country. There must be 50 venues just on 6th Street alone.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    If you have no problem dealing with clubs that go out of business leaving you to find out your gig is cancelled when you pull up to the door with your gear and see the Closed sign, "soundmen" who don't know or care to know how to mix a live band, police hassling you and making you move your car while you're trying to load in your gear, playing at midnight on a Tuesday with the audience consisting of one bored bartender, city officials using the "Live Music Capital of the World" phrase several times a day only to turn around and put in ordinaces that seriously hamper live music performance, the local "transients" waiting for you to carry a load of gear into the club and then grabbing one of you guitars and disappearing down the alley, cops closing down the street while you're playing your show so that when its time for you to load up your gear at the end of the night you can't drive the van within a mile of the club, frat boys trying to pick a fight with you, avoiding the human waste in the alley, the club's PA consisting of a Radio Shack 4-channel mixer, one mic, and two ancient Peavey cabs, TABC shutting down the show, the cops shutting down the show because of the imfamously vague "noise ordinance", then you'll LOVE it in Austin.

5. Autbra

Autbra Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Nashville Tn
    Mike Lull, Mesa Boogie, D'addario Strings endorser
    That sounds not to far from about every city I've played in. I just tell myself it makes for good stories!

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    San Antonio's gigging scene sucks. Yeah, I said it. Avoid like the plague.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sounds like you just don't have any sense of adventure.

8. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Hey, I hear a good gig in Austin pays $100.

So if you have 4 band members, that's $25 a piece.

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Sounds like you just don't have any sense.