Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions for Bassballs users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jongor, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Can the effect be used sparingly? So that it's just barely on, creating a subtle effect. Or is it all the way on or off?

Can it really sound like THIS or THIS ?

2. Yup, I actually quite prefer the just on sound with my fretless, it like free MWAH.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    its quite responsive to your picking/playing too

4. Absolutely. To get that sound I generally set my bass and amp to optimal clean levels, then turn on the bassballs and adjust the knob untill the effect only is noticeably when i really dig in. It basically thickens up the lows some when you play with a softer touch. If you turn the knob all the way down on it, it is basically just a bass boost when you turn it on. I am not using mine as much these days though because I was really looking for an envelope filter when I got it, and while it is very similar, it isnt quite the same thing. Definately a fun pedal though. I use it primarily for just one song with the distortion switch on, and it sounds alot like a talk box.

5. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    So I ended up getting a Russian made version at a local store.

It sounds really cool. I haven't used it too much yet, but there are some very nice tones in it. And the bottom doesn't drop out when I turn it on.

Love the grit added by the distortion switch.

Ever use one with an octave pedal?

6. That things sounds pretty cool...like a glorified version of an Envelope Filter. My EF cost me 30 bucks at Guitar Center and is pretty sweet. Sometimes I use it in conjunction with my Overdrive and that sounds really cool. And I used to always use it with my 750x which had the subwave effect (adds a lower octave to whatever note you are playing). One of these days I'm going to have to shell out some cash for an EBS octave pedal. They have some awesome effects...very well done.

7. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I just got a call from my son, he's home sick today, he wanted to play my new pedal so he plugged it in, backwards, bass in the out and the in to the amp. He said it made a loud pop when he turned it on, and now it doesn't work.

I'm hoping that just the battery is dead, or fried, and not the pedal!!

What would that do? Could the pedal be fried?
    :(

8. Shouldn't be fried... no offense, but if he plugged it in that way, and now says the pedal isn't working, I wouldn't worry about it being a big deal, you get what I'm saying?

9. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    It didn't work after he righted the connections.

10. ... Did he make sure he made the proper connections for the amp? Is the light on?

11. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    It was the battery....emergency over.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Most of the time, I couldn't stand how it sounds without an octave pedal. But it was such a pain. There was no way I could have that kick on really fast with an octave without a custom job. Besides, I can get a similar enough sound from my multi effects processor. I think there was too much hype behind it for me. When I got mine, I was expecting gold, I was let down, not my cup of gravy at all.

13. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005

14. My low end is always completely intact with mine. I've heard about questionable quality control from EHX through certain time periods. I must have lucked out and gotten a good one.

15. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I think you're right. Actually, the one I tried out first sounded a lot better than the one I bought...the original one i tried had a slice in the knob so I got them to give me a different one. Didn't sound as good.

16. Any preferences as to Russian or American made?