Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions for Cirrus owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 3, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I snagged myself a schweeeeet Cirrus 4 yesterday - flame maple top, pau ferro board. The bass barely needs any help from me to play - but then you Cirrus owners know that. ;)

Haven't had much time to fool with it - been busy - but I've already got a couple of issues with the bass. Wonder if anyone has any ideas...

1. A friend of mine suggested that there may be an output trim control on the preamp circuit board. Haven't cracked open the back to look yet, but I don't see any mention in the manual that came with it. The output seems too hot and I was getting some distortion unless I turned the bass volume down a bit - on both the active and passive inputs of my amp. Supposedly, they put fresh batteries in it - I will try a couple of new batteries anyway - this kinda sounds like a battery issue. Anyway, is there any output trim control, in case it isn't a battery issue, or should I learn to keep the volume knob backed off a bit?

2. It's back at the music store today because something is shorting out internally - presumably the preamp. It'll play fine for awhile and then suddenly it's all static-crackle-pop. Anyone every have a similar problem?

Thanks for any suggestions, etc.

2. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I had a Cirrus, and the jack was bad. The springs were not tight, and contact was ify. I could be int he middle of a song, turn abd hera it snapping and popping out. Replaced the jack, and it was fine, but what yo're describing sound like exactly what my problem was. Does the crackling occur if your move the cord while it is inserted in the jack? If so, strong indication is IMO, you need to change the Jack.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This one has actually had the input jack changed - apparently the original one was causing the batteries to drain, and was replaced by the dealer because it was an known issue to Peavey.

Anyway, I called the store and the guy is telling me that the batteries that were put into it weren't new. One was dead and the other was iffy - and that is the cause of the problems. We shall see - I'll be disappointed if I don't get to play my new baby at a gig this Saturday!

4. draining the battery while plugged in is pretty common on most active basses, at least the ones that I have experience with. I don't know that I'd call it a design flaw....

Me thinks it's probably the batteries that are the culprit here. Might also want to get a can of contact cleaner and clean up some of the electronics - KEEP IT OFF THE WOOD!

Man, don't Cirri ROCK! I had a Maple 4 like yours before I traded it in for my Redwood 5; I wish I'd have kept the 4, however. The sound of the maple is just so sweet.....

Mark

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The bass was killing the battery even when not plugged in, apparently...

Anyway, I wouldn't be so anxious about figuring this out, except that my next opportunity to plug it up for more than a minute or two will be at a gig on Saturday! I want so badly to play this bass, but having it go snap-crackle-pop at full stage volume in the middle of a song will not be a good thing!

And yep - what a phenomenal bass - I'm glad I stumbled across this thing before I paid twice as much for another bass I didn't like as much!

Thanks for the input, Mark!

6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I had the snap crackle thing going on just two days ago on my peavey tl-6, it was the output jack, I had the same problem on my Alembic, it was the out put jack, I got a jack form G/C, and took the old one out and put in the new one. There is a little soldering to do, but no big deal, the only thing I have ever noticed when my batteries went low was the bass amp sounded like the woofer was fried, or a very week output, but thats just me:bassist:
    This is why I wish my Cirrus had a passive also, although I have not had any issues as of yet, it would be nice to switch to passive if you ever thought you had a battery problem. Thats my three cents, hope it helps...peace
    :bassist:

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, cirrus owners,there is a 5 string cirrus at a local music store for 800bux,it has been there for over 6 months and they want to move it. is this a good deal? its natural finish ,i havent played it,etc. thanx in advance..

8. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd say so - I paid $1250 for my 4, with a tag price of $1649. I would have tried to negotiate down some more or tried for a better price elsewhere, but I really liked this one in particular. $800 sounds like an excellent deal for a fiver.

9. I had a Cirrus 6 for a while, and had no problems with it. I sold it after a month because I didn't feel I needed the 2 spare strings ;). Oddly enough, the fellow who bought it from me phoned me about a week after buying it to tell me that it was crackling like crazy. I discovered that he played it slung low (practically down to his knees) with the neck at about an 80 degree angle. I played it at about waist level (or a bit higher) with the neck pretty close to horizontal. Turns out there was an issue with the wiring to one of the pots which would cause the bass to crackle when in certain positions. Does yours crackle all the time, or does the crackling come and go?

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My first Cirrus used up its two batteries quickly. I had to change monthly.

On my second Cirrus, I had some crackling, but was never able to isolate the problem, since it was infrequent.

All in all, however, both great basses.

Based on my experience and these comments, there may be an issue in the electronics of the bass that Peavey needs to address.

11. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Hey Dougray, if you'd like to have a four string I've got a like new Cirrus 4 walnut/bubinga that I'd give a great deal on ($700 shipped). Still got the manual, hang tag, straplocks. I've tried to attach pics, but I don't know if it worked. can e-mail 3-4 if interested.

12. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanks pitbill, i am looking at 5 stringers,sounds like a sweet deal tho,good-luck..

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    My Cirrus 6 has never given me a problem and the output was right on par with my USA Spectors w/EMGs. I don't see a trim pot in my pre-amp, but I know some Cirrus have a different pre with a sweepable Mid (same as the Millennium I think).

Speaking of the Millennium, I had one for about "5 minutes" and the single coil neck pickup was about the same as the Cirrus (output) but the Humbucker in the bridge position was way too hot.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey PhatB,

I've tried to put my hands on as many axes with the J/MM pickup configuration since the time that you raised the issue that you were having with yours. Each one that I have tried has been similar to the results that I get with my Millennium Plus 4 that has the same configuration. There was a distinct difference in the tonal qualities of each pickup when solo'd.

I still don't think that I would call it a difference in volume. Some of these basses were of the boutique variety and some were just regular production models. The pickups were Duncans, Bartolinis and others where the origin of their manufacture was not revealed. Could it just be an inherent quality of that pickup configuration and not just a Millennium thing? Just asking.

15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I'm not sure about other basses (or other Millenniums for that matter) with the same J/MM configuration, but this was a volume difference of about 3 to 1. I had to screw the MM down as far as it would go and raise the J as close to the strings as possible to get the volumes even remotely close. Even with both basses set flat the MM pickup (screwed all the way down) still had more volume output than my Cirrus or Spectors or the raised J.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Oh well. It's a moot point anyway because you've moved on. I just thought that I would share those experiences that I've had with other basses with that J/MM setup. Maybe you just got one of the bad eggs and that's terrible.

I still like mine a lot and I have no plans to move it at least until I can justify (dollars/ability) moving into one, or two ;), of the dream basses that I have my heart set on. Also, I found something that may be of interest to you. I recently visited the Peavey site to check out the Millenniums because I'm currently completing a deal on a Plus 5 that should be done by the end of April. Check out what I found...

Peavey Bass Lineup

17. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hey. One of the problems I had with my Cirrus right away was crackling. It turned out my output jack was very loose. I made a thin tool out of brass to tighten to jack, and that fixed the problem for a little while. However eventually the jack needed to be replaced, and this is apparently a known problem to Peavey.

Also when my jack got replaced the guy who did it chipped my finish. :spit:

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I had a Cirrus 6 and never had any trouble. I purchased a Cirrus 5 recently and noticed once in awhile the signal would cut out completely and/or crackle. Why? I'm using my usual set up of Carvin instrument cables and immediately attributed it to what I thought was a faulty input jack. One night I forgot my cables at home and used some my guitarist has laying around with the Cirrus 5. It never cut out once or crackled. What the hell? I took the bass home, plugged in the Carvin cables and pulled on them a bit and noticed it was a little sloppy and would actually pull nearly out of the jack with minimal force.

I cut off the Carvin ends, replaced them with angled or "L" shaped jacks/ends and haven't had any trouble since. I think the inner diameter of the jack is a little on the large side and works better large diameter plugs like the Switchcraft's I used to replace the Carvins with. Try yanking on your cable ends when it's plugged in. If it moves a bit, that's probably the case. Just replace the ends and you should be good. I haven't had any probs with signal loss or crackling since.

19. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    My rule is to always suspect cables first.:)