Questions for G&L L2500 owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LoJoe, Feb 5, 2003.

1. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Mine is in the mail and should arrive today:

It's a brand new one. I got an Ebay second chance offer deal on it that I just couldn't refuse. :D

I'll be adding it to my current bass collection, which consists sadly of one MIA Fender Precision 4. I know the 4 to 5 transition will take some adjusting and I'm ready for that. I have a couple of questions for you that are familiar with the L2500 itself however.

What are the stock strings and guages on the G&Ls? I have Dean Markley Nickel Plated Steel Mediums on my Fender and I love the really fat and warm sound from them. I thought the stock Fender 8250 Nickel plateds were ok too. I'm not a big fan of plain steel strings. Does G&L use the Fender line of taper wound strings or some other?

I assume it takes just one 9 volt battery?

Will I need to spend an hour reading the manual first to understand all the possible switch setting combinations or will I be able to be playing in within a few minutes? I think I'll try it out right out of the box even if I have no idea what the switch settings are for! :D

2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Not sure on the stock strings.

Yes, one 9 volt will do it.

Controls are pretty easy once you get familiar with them. While holding the bass (right-handed) in playing position and looking down, moving from left to right...

1st toggle: pickup selector, neck, bridge, or neck+bridge (middle position)
    2nd toggle: left is series mode (more low end emphasis), right is parallel mode (less bass, but more articulate IMO)
    3rd toggle: right is passive mode, middle is active, and left is active + treble boost

starting on the left, first knob is volume, middle is treble cut, and the right knob is bass cut

congrats on the new bass
  3. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    G&L's come with S.I.T. Power Wound. I'm not sure of the gauge.

BTW, nice looking bass!
  4. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks guys. I just checked the Fedex website. That sucker is OUT FOR DELIVERY! I may have to leave work a little early today....
  5. reddavid

Oct 11, 2001
    Wayne, PA
    My L-2500 came with D'Addario XL's (from BassNW) - so they could be strung thru the body. They are fine sounding.

I prefered flatwound, and use TI Jazz Flats - which sound very nice! B & E strun thru bridge, A, D, G thru the body. Check out the saddle lock as well. Always discussion about its pros/cons.

Enjoy the new bass!

6. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I haven't tried them on mine yet, but I heard that TI's powerbass strings sound amazing on G&L's. My two favorite settings are all knobs wide open, neck pickup, preamp active, series mode , and wide open again, both pickups, preamp active with treble boost, series again.