Questions for Iamp-800 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scotius2001, May 12, 2004.

1. I'm considering lightening my gear load by going from a rack system with a SWR Grand Prix and a QSC PLX1602 to an Iamp-800. Looking for some insights as to how the iamp stacks up against bigger power amps. I bridge my PLX into 2 Epifani cabs (210 and 115) at 4 ohms so I'm using twice the power as the nominal Iamp rating. I'm concerned that I'll miss the headroom. I also notice a big difference with the Epifanis going from 300W ea in stereo to 800W ea in mono (lots more punch). Anyone using the Iamp with Epis? Does the peak power rating play into an ability to drive power hungry cabs like a more powerfull power amp does? Will I experience a noticable increase in clarity and definition with the iamp? Thanks in advance.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my iAMP800 sounded awesome with my old Epifani 3x10.

but, i dunno how the volume differences between your 2x10 and 1x15 can be controlled. there's no separate volume control for each cab.
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I went from a Kern IP777/QSC 2402 (2400w bridged) to one of the first iAMP 800 early last year. I haven't had any desire to return to the power amp, though I must also add that I am not playing as loudly as I was when I first got the Kern/QSC, but I did use that rig with my current cabs. I'm gigging the iAMP 800 with a pair of the old EA VL-208 cabs, which aren't quite as efficient as some cabs, playing classic rock against guitar, keys, electronic drums, and three vocals, and haven't run into any headroom or power issues. It doesn't seem to run out of gas on me.

Disclaimer: I sell as well as use EA gear; but I was an EA user for a couple years before I became a dealer.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a rack rig (Eden Navigator into PLX 3002) and an iAMP 800. Despite the rather large power handling difference between the two (3,000w into 4 ohm out of the 3002, 800w into 4 ohm from the iAMP), in most situations, I feel like I have more than adequate headroom with the iAMP 800. I have used it to drive my Epifani cabs (two T-112's and a T-110UL), and it sounds great with them. The power section is really all you could ever hope it to be. The EQ section can take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it becomes a powerful tool. I would think that an iAMP 800 would be more than capable of running both of your cabs with adequate headroom.

The only issue I ever had with my iAMP 800 was that the protection circuitry would kick in too early for my likes. However, I sent my amp back to Gary at EA, and he adjusted the protection circuitry for me and shipped it back, all for no charge. With EA gear, you certainly get great service, even when you purchase used gear, as I have done.

5. Thanks everybody. I love this place...
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have the 800 and pair it up with a NYC T-112 or T-310 (often with the tone controls by-passed), depending on the situation. I have yet to hear anything that sounds this good and can be moved to and fro so easily! :cool:
  7. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I use the iAMP 800 into 2 ea cabs, but for larger gigs I do the Epifani T410 and it sounds great! I recently acquired an Epi T110 and T112 and I'm thinking I like the sound of them better than the EA cabs - just a little less smooth, a little less flat, and a little more addictive! Although the studio-esque sound of the EA cabs is great too.

About the swr/plx vs. iamp, I think you'll notice a HUGE difference in clarity, tightness, and I bet that you'll wonder... how does the iAMP play so clear without being overly bright??
  8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I told you that T-110/T-112 combo was addictive! While I prefer the sound of my VL-series EA cabs much of the time, the Epifani's do offer a very appealing alternative sound when so desired. Basically, I vacillate between EA, Accugroove and Epifani, depending on my mood. Then, of course, there is the whole iAMP 800 vs Walkabout vs rack rig issue...
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Bad pun. Sorry.

I just got my iAMP800. Currently running it flat as I get used to the sound throught Bergie. My MMV has never sounded so good. The Deep preset is real nice. So are the others. Haven't even got to the tone shaping. The NS Design also works well through this unit. I add in the Deep preset there as well. All in all an amazing package. While it cost me an arm and a leg it is well worth it.
  10. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Tom, so I'm curious how you make that choice between the iAmp and walkabout . Do you just wake up some mornings wanting espresso and others craving cream and sugar? Which rig do you gravitate to more frequently?
  11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I love the inherent tone and tweaking ease of the Walkabout. And the fact that it is only 13 lbs, and 12" by 12" is often a factor. But there are times when I need the headroom of the iAMP 800, and there are other times that I like to have the more extensive tone-shaping capabilities of the iAMP.

Bottom line is that most situations where I don't need to additional volume, I tend to use the Walkabout. In louder practices and most gigs, I use the iAMP. For gigs where I MAY have the need to get bodaciously loud, the rack rig gets the nod.