Questions for Lefay & Pangton owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Hello,

I'm entertaining the idea of picking up a Lefay five-string bass (while waiting for another Wal). It looks like the Pangton might be a good choice.

One thing that I have been unable to determine is how string changes are accomplished. Is the Pangton limited to using double-ball-end type strings or is there a screw to lock standard strings in place? Also, is it easy to change a single string in the event that one breaks?

I think something got lost in translation on my last email to Reiner so any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I need to decide whether to choose a Pangton or a Capone.

PS - also, thanks to JMX for good advice along the way.
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Not an owner but I though I could chime in.

Reiner as used both ABM and his homemade headless system. He as use his system in different configuration, ie with a string anchor/clamp at the end of the neck or with a tunerless headstock where strings wrap around a string anchor.

All in all, I'm 99% sure Reiner basses use regular strings allthough the ones that come with the ABM headpiece can accept both double ball and regular strings

Hope it helps

3. stubbadubs

stubbadubs Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Yes, you can use regular strings with the screws, and it's very, very fast and easy to change strings! Fantastic bass!
  4. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    LeFay basses are among the VERY best I have ever encountered - buy with confidence !!
  5. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I really hope to have a LeFay at some point. I just really dig what these guys are doing!
  6. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    I would go for the capone. Headless just looks wrong to my eyes.

I have played some Lefay Basses myself, the all are very good and well crafted instruments.

You can use regular strings.