1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions for lightwave SL bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkstorm, Jun 12, 2011.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ok, Ive emailed lightwave to get nut width measurement for 4 and 5 string. But will repeat that question here. Whats nut width for the 4 and 5 string models? For some odd reason the fiver sbaer sl hybred costs much less then the 4 string version and the straight saber sl's (no reg 2nd pup). at their online seller amazon

Other questions, again neck oriented:

1. Does the neck more remind you of chunky P or slimmer J. Or perhaps better way of putting it: Does the neck compare well to other slim fast playing neck basses or more to them chunky wide type necks? And being 14" radius, do you sometimes feel fretboard is to flat?

2. And, can you get nice real low action and no hassles near dead straight neck? Yes some musical string fret buzz rattle is ok with me. Just no fretting out and no basses that dont let you get real low action for me.

3. Last question is for any that own the lightwave saber sl hybred. Hows the regular pup in it sound? And do you find yourself struggling when wanting some nice crisp top end since the ice (treble) boost/cut doesnt exist on this model, its pot position replaced with a pup blend knob. No treble control. And is the switch active/passive or warm/cool setting?

Thanks for any answers. Concidering saving up for a saber sl or saber sl hybred. If I can satisfy myself I might like the necks. I'm partial to esp ltd and ibanez necks as all time faves for bass necks.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Got nice email responce from lightwave peeps. Is 1 & half inch nut for 4 string and 1 & 3.4 inch for 5 string basses. So necks are ok'd for should like them and certainly within the range I prefer.
    --------
    Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your email and your interest in Saber Basses.

As you hoped, the Saber SL and VL have 4-string nut width at 1.5" and the 5-strings are 1.75".

Replacement battery packs run $23. It is possible to buy them in advance, but if so I would advise trading them out occasionally, as an unused pack will not age as well as a pack that is in use.

The rechargeable packs are not exotic. They consist of eight AAA cells (NiMH) which are wired together and shrink wrapped. In the worst case scenario, if LightWave went out of business, the pack could be duplicated by a number of ways (for example a hobby shop that specializes in radio controlled models). Otherwise, we do plan to stay in business, and the replacement packs will be available.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.

Thanks and best regards,

Chris Willcox