questions for Mr. Turner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by newbass, Oct 19, 2002.

1. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    First of all, I'd like to express my thanks for the many quick responses from everyone on the board to my other posts. Man this is a whole lot better than another message board that will remain unnamed. Anyway, on to the questions. As you can tell from the title, they are concerning Mr. John Turner, and more specifically, his multitude of awesome basses! I was looking at the Lord Only (very, very awesome band) website and was wondering what are the specificactions on that eight string fretless, mainly, what are the neck and body woods and what do all those knobs and switches do? :) Also (I'm not sure if you want to say), but about how much on average did the sevens and eights cost?
    Thanks for your patience and hopefully you can answer some of these.

P.S. Does the band have any idea when the CDs are coming out? I've been itching to hear some more Lord Only!
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy. my 8 string fretless specs are as follows...

35" scale length
    tuned f#-b-e-a-d-g-b-e
    36 fret (highest 12 frets with lines)
    fretboard and neck made of wenge with bubinga
    body is solid flamed koa.
    pickup is custom seymour duncan music man style.
    bridge is abm with shadow piezos.

the bass has bass-mid-treble eq, master volume, piezo/magnetic blend, synth/magnetic blend, 1 fully parametric eq band (with q, freq and cut/boost), 3 way selector for pickup ala music man 5 string (series, parallel, single coil), a coil tap switch, 3 way selector for synth/both/magnetics, a momentary up and down switch for patch selectors for the synth output.

the synth i am talking about is the rmc on board c-v conversion. this takes the outputs from the individual piezo elements and converts them to control voltages that are sent down a 13 pin cable (roland guitar synth standard) to a synth brain that interprets them, in my case an axon ax100sb.

that's about it. i have a similarly equipped 8 string fretted that is pretty close to identical except for the woods (walnut body and purple heart and walnut neck/fretboard).

thanks for being interested, and our cds should be available in a month or two, barring mishap. it's presently getting mastered, although there might be a delay if we decide to remix any of the songs. then it's off to pressing.

thanks again for being interested - :D.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Stop that! You'll only inflate his ego further...
  4. newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for all the specs! Wow, thats a lot of electronics! I'll be eagerly awaiting the CDs.
  5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    LOL:D :p ;)
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I know.. John really doesn't play those basses you know? thats right i'm letting the cat out of the bag.. He just buys them to compensate for his lack of cool hair :eek: :D :D

Don't hurt me John.. I'm only pseudo serious
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    too late man... his ego is bigger than the XBOX
  8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Is this just a joke? :confused:

I've never seen John be anything more than cordial and respectful. Forgive me if I am just missing the humor :D
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

of course we "know" that Mr. "Turner" is actually a "nice" "person".

and yes, you missed it...

10. Seems like over kill for thumping out root notes huh?

:D Just kiddin JT.:D
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga