Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions for new zealand tb'ers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vic_6, Dec 10, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    hey!

uh, i just found out today that my family's gonna be moving there in about a little over year. as soon as i graduate college i think.

so anyway, i was just wondering how are things there musically and bass-wise? from what i've read here, it seems as though gear there is quite pricey. how about the availability of stuff? and also looking through various sites, i havent really seen particular mention of the music over there.

how about lifestyle n such? anything you could say about it would be great!

2. Hmmm.. well musically there is a pretty vibrant local music scene - check out nzmusic.com to get started.

Bass-wise... yeah gear is pricey and options are sometimes limited, however there are bargains out there and being internet savvy can definitely circumvent some issues. Bass-philosophy-wise kiwis tend to be a bit on the conservative side (compared to your average TBer).. not too many Conklin GT-7's floating around these parts..

Er... lifestyle n such really depends where you are and what you're doing I guess. Although generally visitors comment on the relaxed pace of life, amount of space and friendly people.

Any more specific q's & I'll try to answer...

3. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    so what kind of music or genre is predominant over there?

but how bout like the availability of things? like what kind of gear will find there? can you give like what brands can be found easily n stuff?

we're supposed to be moving to wellington. anything you can say about that place?

thanks man! big help! :)

4. Despite it's location, in many respects Nz is very 'westernised'. The mix of genres which predominate is therefore pretty close to what you would find in Australia, Western Europe or North America.

Brands you'll see a lot of:

Amps
    - SWR, Mesa, Peavey, Carvin, Jansen (NZ made), Ashdown, Trace (more rarely)
    Basses
    - Fender, Ibanez, Samick, Cort and to a lesser extent Warwick, Musicman, Carvin, Ric, Peavey

Check out NZ auction site trademe.co.nz to get a feel for the used gear scene.

Wellington is a beautiful city located by a harbour. The weather is ok, but has a reputation for being windy. Also, has a reputation for a pretty good local music scene. Don't know much else from personal experience... I think Tber 'Simpy1' lives in Welly.. so you could get in touch with him I guess.

5. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    aryt. cool! many thanks jemetech!

6. Wellington and "windy"? Never!! ;)

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I love Kiwi's. I don't think I've ever met a Kiwi I didn't like.

You'll love the way the Kiwi's speak. You may even have trouble understand it at first, so here's a little help:-

BUGGER: As in "mine is bugger than yours".

BETTING: "Betting Gloves" are worn by betsmen in crucket.

BRIST: Part of the human anatomy between the "nick" and the "billy".

CHULLY BUN: Chilly Bin, also known as an Esky.

DIMMER KRETZ: Those who believe in democracy.

ERROR BUCK: Language spoken in countries like "Surria", "E-Jupp" and "Libernon".

EKKA DYMOCKS: University staff.

GUESS: Flammable vapour used in stoves.

SENDLES: Thongs, as in "open shoes", not the underwear type. Sometimes called JENDALS.

COLOUR: murderer

CUSS: Kiss.

You get the idea...........:)

8. Why you little....!

NZ is great - check out www.rockshop.co.nz for the most common brands.

paid work as a muso can be hard to get, but if you know the right people....

Welcome, Enjoy your stay.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Is that it? I was expecting (hoping for) a retaliation....

(you may have noticed Aussies and Kiwi's like to pick on each other. It's a friendly rivalry that originates from competetive sports.)

10. I'm sorry Pete... did you say something about the rugby, league, netball..... and the cricket? :p

[Just managing to resist saying something about the racial tolerence... and Australians... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
    See also: Australian current events, keyword: riot]

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's the sort of comeback I was after. Just remember I'm holding back on saying something about sheep :)

BTW, Aussies are NOT Racist - we don't care who kills 'em (Joking).

12. Ditto on:
    -Dingos
    -Babies
    -Convicts etc etc :p

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    ...and the recent One-Day cricket matches :)

14. 332!!!! 332!!!111oneoneone

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all i know is that Neil Finn is from there, and lives on Kare Kare. :)