Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions For PEAVEY "Unity Series" Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tim4003, Aug 1, 2002.

1. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I was doing a job for a guy today and when he found out I played bass, he brought out a Peavey Unity Series bass he said he had owned for about 8-10 years.
    I told him I would try to get some info on it for him.
    So if you know anything about these basses, such as when this bass was made or how much they sold for new, I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give.
    Thanks, Tim
    P.S. The serial # is 05232278

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The unity series basses, if I remember correctly, are a late 80s model. Some of them were "Dyna Bass Unity Series". They preceeded the TL model. Good basses. Probably about $8-900 for a new one back then. ?

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Thanks, Philbiker!

4. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Yep, I had a Koa Dynabass Unity series at one time and sometimes regret selling it. I sold it to a nice friend though that really is enjoying it.

One of the fastest necks I've ever played and the tone is great with the replacements Barts in it! I never liked the dyna preamp.

Tapp

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I played a koa dyna bass a few days ago (i don't know if was a unity, it had three band eq, neck through, schaller bridge) I really dug it, and it had a price tag of $300 (is that normal?). The bass had flats on it (i think they were TI flats.) I really enjoyed that tone, but i'd like to see how it sounds w/ rounds.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A lot of Peavey basses have what they call "unity" neck through construction. I'm not sure what this entails, but I know the TL-Series had that construction method as well.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

'Unity' was Peavey's term for neck through, back in the late 80's/early 90's.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Oh, so it was Peavey's term for "Cappilary design"?

They just had to come up with a fancy name for it, no?

Where's George Carlin when you need him?

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As others have said, that bass you played, if it was neck through, was a "Unity Series". I had a Dyna-Bass 5 bolt-on back int he day and I really liked it.

IMO $300 is a great price for that bass. It originally retailed over $900 I'm sure, and it porobably has a super heavy duty case.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

LMAO!:D Yep, Carlin indeed!

I can't remember, who uses 'Capillary'? Is that Pedulla?