Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions for possible Rickenbacker clone project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 9, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I found a Rickenbacker clone I am considering purchasing and fixing up. From the get-go, I know that it will need work. New pickups, setup, refretting, and possibly new bridge. I'd like to get it sounding as close to a Rickenbacker as possible, and I was considering a set of Basslines pickups to drop in. Looking at the pic I have attached, do you think that the Basslines pickup set would fit directly in, or would it need some routing? Any chance an aftermarket Rickenbacker bridge would fit, you think?

~Patrick

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I did a 1976 Ibanez copy last year. I sourced real Ric knobs on eBay, got a pair of real Ric pickups and the electronics from a shop called "Pick of the Ricks" which just happened to be near me (he's also on the web). I call her my "Rickenfaker" and even made a cool headstock patch so that the logo looks almost like the real one, but it's my tongue-in-cheek way of pointing out that it's really not a Ric. :)

It sounds like the real thing, plays like the real thing, and didn't take too much work to put her into playing condition. And it cost a heckuva lot less than the real thing... ;) I have pics floating around somewhere, but not here at work.

3. Out of curiousity...why not go with real Ric parts and pickups?

4. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Good luck on the project. A very worthy one!

5. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    You can usually find some parts on ebay, they usually have pickups and nobs and bridges.

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Might be a nice project... :)

On a related note, have you noticed that you don't really see custom or high-end basses that use Rick-style appointments, such as the general body style, neck profile or pickup placement? The nearest I've seen is a Vigier. A full-on, exotic wood, active Rick wannabe would rule... and I don't think Rickenbacker are going to make something like that themselves! :)

Russ :bassist:

7. Cause they would be sued to infinity and beyond.

8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I know Rickenbacker are fairly free and easy with their lawsuit habits, but even without aping the body shape, I don't think I've ever seen anything else with a similar pickup configuration (ie, one pickup in the middle, one butted right up against the end of the neck) or heard of anything that has attempted to get an updated Rick-type sound... that might be interesting...

Russ :bassist:

9. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    [​IMG]

I guess my high end Rick copy which overall quality rivals that of an Alembic is the sole exeption. I built it from leftover pieces of flamed maple lying around the Knooren workshop and the neck of a Japanese Rick copy. It has Kent Armstrong Blade humbuckers and strangely enough I still can get that Rick growl from it.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Have a set of SD Rics but not in a Ric bass. The bridge pup has a large rectangular mounting plate that I wouldn't want to slap on the face of a Ric. You can buy genuine Ric sets off ebay for what you'd pay for the Duncans used. I would try to keep any original Ric upgrades reverseable so you can remove replacement parts and return the originals when it's time to sell.