Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions for Roland V-Bass users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    It's been a while since my bass "married" with a Roland....and I'm beginning to ask myself about two elementary things,since I'm a bit concerned about the potential loss of the patches I made so far on the unit.
    1.Does anybody know what's the estimated life of that little battery wich preserves the patches and system parameters?
    And what type is?
    It looks like a common-sense attitude to have somewhere in the gigbag such a battery for our beloved synth,in the same way we carry a spare battery for the active electronic of the instrument himself.
    2.Wich software/MIDI sequencer (PC platform) capable of record exclusive messages do you recomend for saving the data from a V-Bass?
    The brand recomends the Roland MC-80,but there might be another useful PC sequencer to use in this aspect.
    I'm not a newbie with the PC,but the MIDI stuff is not my strong side and,honestly,I don't have time tu install/uninstall a ton and a half of sequencers,'till I find the right one.
    Thanks!

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Well...no techies in this forum?!?:bawl:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Don't know what kind of battery is in there; perhaps the same type of battery they use in computers? I don't think you will need to change it for a LONG time.

Can't you record your patches on a Smart media card?

I think any MIDI sequencer will work. Roland is just plugging their own thing because that's what they do.

Perhaps you could check VG-8.com. Lots of info on there that would apply to you.

4. battery-inside this unit. Well if there is one, you prolly don't have to change it in forever. I thought all the data was in a PRAM of some sort.
    In regards to data saving and data updating -do a search here for Vbass updates. AS you know a geman VBass update was released and a few members here described how they did it. As to storing my tweeked patches, I use a roland bulk librarian. Its a Roland based 2meg memory card essentially. But a few TBer's have used their computers
    frank