Questions for those who've bought engagement rings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 24, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, so I'm getting ready to buy a diamond engagement ring (on credit card...I'm tired of waiting to get a real job) and I just thought I'd throw this out there. I've looked at plenty of rings so far and I know all about the 4 c's and I know about what I want.

Sooo...where'd you buy your ring? And for those who aren't shy, what are the specs and what'd you pay?

Have any of you bought your diamond from a wholesaler? How do you find diamond wholesalers?

I've looked around at all the major online retailrs and the ones I've liked most so far are and (both listed with better business bureau - I'm not interested in getting ripped off). I'd still like to find a better deal though. I know there can't be THAT much of a variation among the discount retail guys but I would like to find the cheapest possible place since my only income now is from substitute teaching and the occasional gig. I think now my main candidate is Zales Factory Outlet. They had some nice stones for good prices but I'm still looking around.

Any heads up or comments you can give me about the two web retailers listed above would be helpful as well as any other good sources you know of.

brad cook
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Diamond quality varies significantly. Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, order from a mail order discounter. You might as well put a quarter in a gumball-like machine.

Go to a local jeweler that has been around for awhile and has a good local reputation. They will be more than happy to give you a primer and help you find something of quality that fits in your budget.

I once had a friend who bought an engagement set at Sams Club (he worked there at the time). Imagine his dismay when he later had it appraised and it wasn't even worth a fraction of what it was represented to be. :cool: