Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions for Warwick Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I would be blithe if you Warwick owners would answer the following three questions. (Sorry about "blithe", I'm supposed to use vocab words in sentences outside of class.)

Do you find them (Warwicks) to be good for slap style?

What do you think about the MEC pickups?

What kind of Warwick do you own?

I am particularly interested in the Corvette Standard, Proline, Jazzman, LTD Edition, and the Streamer Jazzman.

2. Yes

Don't know, mine came with seymour duncans

Corvette proline

3. Hipnotic

Hipnotic

Feb 26, 2002
    CT/NY U.S.A.
    I have a Corvette Proline and overall I'm happy with it. The slap sound on Warwicks I think is very unique, I'm guessing it's due to their fret material. I used to really love that sound, especially on their neck thru basses. It's a matter of taste though. Some people don't like the Warwick slap sound.

My Corvette came with Seymour Duncan pickups so I couldn't tell you much about MEC's other than when I have played other models, mainly Streamer Stage 2's. The MEC's in those seem like they're sometimes uneven in volume from the B or E string to the G string. It may have only been on the one or two basses that I've played because I have played others that I like much more and felt sounded better with more consistency in volume from string to string.

4. I have a Corvette Standard. The MEC's are ok I guess. I changed them to EMG's with an EMG BTC control wired at 18 volts. Monster modern sound.

5. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    blithe
    2. casual: casually indifferent
    "with a blithe disregard for anyone's feelings"

so it doesn't really matter if you get any responses or not? :(

well, I liked the Streamer Jazzman the best of the bunch. The shape seemed better to me.
    Not that you care...

6. Depending on the Series, Warwicks are very nice slap bass'

MECs are very competative, the Humbuckers are bgrowly and the J's have bite to them. I never replaced my MEC's.

i owned a Warwick Corvette FNA, but it was recently stolen and i am upgrading to a Thumb Bolt on.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    1: Yes but I'm not into slap so dont do it much. May not be ideal* for playing standing though due to neck dive (search forum).
    2:It came with MEC pickups so I have no means of comparison. As it stands, though, they're great.
    3: I owneth a Warwick Thumb.

Hope I helped.

*for some bassists.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    When I say "slap style", I don't just mean slapping. I mean the combination of popping and slapping, take Stanley Clarke for example. I'm not to worried about the actual slapping because to me all growly pickups usually produce nice slap sounds, it's high and articulate pops that I'm worried about. I believe that's where the people who say, "Warwicks are not versatile enough" are coming from.

But as always I could be wrong.

9. The best Warwick that I've found for slappin' is a Streamer 4-stringer equipped with MECs. It's a '90 bass, essentially a Stage II, but from before there was an actual Warwick S-II model. No neck dive here, although this bass is a bit on the heavy side.

I also have a '90 Dolphin 4-stringer that came with factory Bartolinis, and it's a very close second to the one mentioned above. The string spacing might be tight for some slappers, but this isn't prone to neck dive either.

The 5-string Dolphin (w/ MECs) is good. String spacing is a bit better than on the 4. I prefer the sound of the Barties, but either way the Dolphins can be amazingly agressive if you want it.

You won't catch me slappin' the Infinity LTD around much although it sounds great, mostly due to the preamp's built-in slap contour switch.

I also have a Thumb that is fine for slap if you can deal with "the dive".

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so this body style from warwick doesn't dive? at all? just curious because my corvette pro 6 is a really bad diver (i can't really play the dam thing very long).

are you able to play your bass at a 45 degree angle like a jazz?

:)

11. funkslapped

funkslapped

Apr 25, 2003
    I play a Thumb5 and I have to say that I really enjoy the sound it produces in the highs. I've tried many strings on the market, as most bassists have, and have returned to the heavy black label Warwick strings. I think they sound great with the mec's, which are pretty versatile. I also attribute the thick voice to the Wenge slab fingerboard. I iterate that this is merely preference and opinion. As far as playability goes for slap, be aware of the string spacing. Thumb5's are at 17cm as opposed to the Streamer Stage 5string's 20cm spacing. The linked song was tracked with a Warwick, in case you want to check it out. Please note that mixing was not done by me, and in that process the frequencies had been altered. Hope this helps brother.
    http://www.onemilewish.com/media/One_Mile_Wish_-_My_Mouth.mp3

12. The Streamer is so very similar to a Fender shape that it's quite natural to hold in that way. I use a wide strap due to the weight, but it's well-balanced and there is no dive. Do bear in mind that we're talking about a 4-string in this case.

Interestingly, forty-five degrees is just about exact to where a Dolphin wants to sit naturally.

13. yes!

i like the MEC pu´s

corvette proline ´92

14. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    My Corvette Std, 5 string sounds great with MEC pickups, I wish I had a mid-boost/cut but this bass only has treble/bass boost/cut, pickup blend, and volume. It's a fretless and sucks for slapping. I tried just once to see how it sounds, wow....I won't ever do that again. Anyhow, it's my only fretless, my only Bubinga Body, Ovangkol-Bubinga Neck, Ebony Fingerboard bass so I can't really compare the MEC's with anything else....they sound good on this bass...

Here's a sound clip with the MEC's. I didn't use a pre-amp. The bass was recorded straight into the board, dry with no effects. I play finger style, no pick was used.

http://www.blueonion.net/mp3/pako-blueonion-wakin-jam-groove-thing.mp3

~peace~

15. Yes, very good for slap. Particularly the Streamer Stages and the Jazzman models.

I like the MEC's.

I own a Streamer Stage I 4 string. No neck dive whatsoever, I can play that thing for hours...

16. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a Corvette FNA Jazzman with MEC's. Though I don't slap much this bass sounds great doing it. Fingerstyle sound is also very focused and there's no neck dive. Personally I'm not too crazy about the voicing of the Duncan pre. Other than that - a very nicely made bass.

17. I have a warwick Fortess One, and I can't really comment on the slap sound because I don't slap, and I use flatwound strings, which totally alters the sound of the bass. As for the MEC pickups....they seem pretty good. I went through a period where I wanted to replace them, or the preamp, but I finally decided that my bass already sounded great, and it just wasn't sorth going through the hassle.

18. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    [QUOTE
    Do you find them (Warwicks) to be good for slap style?

What do you think about the MEC pickups?

What kind of Warwick do you own?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

1. Depends on the slap. Its a modern slap as opposed to the fender p-funk slap. They are good slappers with the possible exception of the thumb5. Probably has something to do with closely spaced pickups near the bridge.

2. Like them. I'm sure there are better pickups on the market though.

3. Corvette 5, thumb bolt-on fretless 5

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a Streamer Jazzman 5. While I don't care for the slap sound as well as on my Modulus, it does sound pretty good. I do experience a little bit of neck dive with it, but not enough to bother me. All in all, I am extremely happy with the bass, it does a great job of replacing the 2 that I traded in on it.:)

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) Yes, the wenge board and bell brass frets make it sound real good (qoite a lot of zing with pop - but the treble cut can take much of it out if you dont like it), but as mine is a Corvette 6, i dont slap much - only when practising.

2.) There may be better ones, but ive heard that MECs go quite well with bubinga - whereas some hi-end pus dont

3.) Corvette Standard 6