1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Questions for WW users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. tombowlus

    tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    First off, what are you folks using for a gig bag (if any)? I am thinking about having one custom made, but wanted to see if there is anything out there that might do the trick.

    Second, what if anything are you using for AC protection? I always feel better having my Furman PL-Plus in my rack rig, but if I am going to have this little lightweight amp to play through, I don't want to have to bring a rack, too. Then again, I don't want to plug straight into the "outlet of mystery!" or use a cheap-o power strip. Maybe something like an Isobar computer surge protector?

    Thanks, Tom.
  2. NeedMoreBass

    NeedMoreBass unregistered

    Feb 14, 2003
    I customized a Eden WT400 bag for mine and I also have a dealer that custom designed a case for Modern Case Co. I'll PM his email address to you. It's a real nice case!!

    Also I've been using Walter's amps for over 20 years and never used power protection and have never had one problem!!
  3. emjazz

    emjazz Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    Tom, go to www.mooradian.com. They make a bag specifically for the Woods amps. Killin little bag! I love their stuff.

    edit: When you go to the website the opening page shows the bag. It's the small bag on the bottom front.
  4. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Banned

    Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I use a Leather samsonite Laptop bag. It has 2 sides ones for the amp and the other is big enough that I can fit cables,Ext.....

    It looks slick :cool:
  5. boogiebass


    Aug 16, 2000
    Yup. I use the Mooradian bag myself. Great little bag, well worth the scratch.
  6. boogiebass


    Aug 16, 2000
    I generally plug into a surge protector or the Furman I have with my rack for the XWire.
  7. tombowlus

    tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was considering getting a two space soft rack for my wireless (Shure ULXS, no XWire for me...:crying: ) and a Furman, although I was also thinking about a smaller case/bag for the Shure (which would be nicer, as I'd like my "mini rig" to be truly "mini."
  8. abaguer


    Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've used a Tarsus? computer bag I bought at Circuit City. Amp fits in nicely and there's another zippered section I use for cables etc. Walter also recommended getting a good surge protection power strip (again one for computers at Circuit City). I've been through two of those already as the first one blew when plugged into a bad outlet. It saved the amp but I had to replace the strip.
  9. tombowlus

    tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, I gotta use something to keep my WWU safe...

    but what...
  10. Hi Tom
    I've never used any current protection but probably should if Walter recommended it.

    I have an SKB mini mixer case and it is perfect to the max. I have the amp, speaker cables, JDI, Sabine tuner, patch cables, band cards, polish cloth, etc. It's very compact and really protects the WWU. I had it for my Mackie Mini Mixer which I rarely take out of my practice room. I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't that expensive. Well worth it. Let me know how you're liking your new amp. Also, let me know what you come up with for the protection choice.

    Another note: I've tossed around the rack idea too and just can't bring myself to do it because of the portability thing. I really don't like racks but they are a needed for some gear. I was always concerned about a liquid finding it's way into the vents on my precious amp. I usually don't bring it for outside gigs and I'm very careful about any mishap with drinks at bars, i.e. people coming up and talking on break while sloshing drinks around. Walter told me that would really be bad for the amp and it would certainly have to go in for repair. He said the best thing to do is turn down the gains and power it off between sets when you're not around to deflect any Rum n' Cokes... :eek: That would at least keep the amp from getting fried and just need to me cleaned then. He also stated that the switch/button on the back is the best around and would never wear out in 50 years... so that's what I do and just give the amp around a minute to be on before jammin' out. It's a "small" hassle but beats all the rack and stuff. I'm going to come up with something eventually to use the amp outside and feel comfortable. I've thought about a three space effects rack case just to set it in for those gigs, kinda like a portable garage, covers the top and leaves room for air also keep the sun off. I could also build a nice little box just to set it in or find something that would do the same thing.
  11. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I use a Pelican waterproof case. They're cheap enough, around 50 bucks at the local electronics store. Lightweight but very sturdy molded plastic case with foam padding and a vacuum valve. My Walter has survived numerous attempts at its life, once it fell off the back of a truck and got run over by a Honda, and it's been through the Samsonite gorillas countless times. It's still working fine.

    Electrically speaking, I've found the Walter to be a very robust amp. I wouldn't hesitate to plug it directly into the mystery outlet. It has protective circuitry in the power supply, so if anything bad happens it'll just turn itself off. But, I can certainly understand your desire to have some extra measure of protection. An Ultra will easily draw 12 to 15 amps though, so you'll need something a little bigger than your average power conditioner.
  12. Joelc73

    Joelc73 Supporting Member

    Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I picked up a pistol case at a local gun shop that is a perfect fit. It's hard plastic with foam padding. Walter recommended it and he was dead on. It's not much bigger than the unit (although there is enough room to squeeze a surge protector into) and it's light weight.
  13. tombowlus

    tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

    Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow! Thanks for all of the input, folks! I have a lot of options to look into.
  14. BenF


    Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I might get a soft case sometime in the future but for now my WW travels in a Pelican 1400 case.
    I went with the hard case because it would probably survive even if someone dropped a PA cab on it, and it's fully waterproof.
    The WW in it's case is still a whole lot lighter than my SM900 in its SKB rack.