1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions for you GK folks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDownWays, Oct 30, 2010.

1. I'm looking at a 800RB two GK210neo rig. Will i be able to bi amp both cabs? The 100 watt high side amp is only 8ohm capable? Also is the horn attenuator variable?

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    My rig is two 8 ohm Avatar Neo 210 cabinets used as a vertical 410.
    I drive them with either my old G.K. 800 or my new G.K. MB2-500 head.
    Personally I wouldn't do the bi-amp thing and just run both cabs full range using the 300 watts at 4 ohms power amp...stack your two 210's in the vertical and let it fly!!!
    I ran my 800 full range into a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT 810 square back cabinet for over 22 years. To my ears the 800 sounds fuller run full range.

3. OK. Cool. I'm actually considering the Avatars as well. I was leaning toward the GK's for the bi amping option. Any experience with the GK's? Differences etc.....?

4. Those cabs are designed to work with the HMS system of the 700RB II & 1001RB type amps, not the 800 RB. The HMS system has a fixed crossover point at 5 kHz, where the 800 has a variable crossover from 100 Hz-1000Hz. That lends it to biamping from a "Lo" range cab to "Mid" range cab (or cabs).

just run 'em full-range, either from the Lo outs, or one from the Hi out for independent control of volume.

DO NOT run both from the the "Hi" outs at the same time!!

5. Good info. Thanks guys.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

If I can make a suggestion. If you get the 800, go to Walmart or a Radio Shack store and pick-up a small, cheap fan and set it up to blow on the back cooling fins when the heads in use. This'll solve the 800's one design flaw...no fan cooling.
    I bought my G.K. 800 new in 1984.
    At day one I put a small 4" Radio Shack electronics cooling fan in my rack blowin' on the back fins.
    This head has been heavily used over the years, (used it last night).
    It's never went down or been in for any repairs.
    I give that little fan credit for my G.K.'s trouble free 26 years.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    the "bi amp" is kinda a joke... just run them both full range and it'll sound great

8. Hey Shoot-r. You get good thump with that Avatar vertical stack and 800? I'm used to a traditional 410.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Yes sir!!!
    I'm with a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock group, the vertical line array 410 has worked "very" well for me.
    Before I went with the vertical 410 idea I was working with a brand-name 212 cabinet and it wasn't giving me what I wanted to hear on stage.
    The 12's gave a great low end pillow but I wasn't getting the cut-through on a busy stage.
    Billfitzmaurice, (T.B. speaker/sound guru), got me started on the use of two 210's for a vertical 410 idea, and his recommendations were right on the money!
    A line array 410 will give you better mids dispersion, better projection, and less phase issues than a standard 410 configured cabinet.
    You get the height advantage of a tall 810 cabinet, (speakers up closer to your ears), but with a smaller foot print on stage.
    I like that I can use just one cabinet for rehearsals/small, low volume gigs, both cabs when more volume and coverage is needed.
    The only draw back of using two 210's is that it's more expensive to buy two 210's than a single 410.

10. Yeah, i've followed the vertical stack threads with interest. I'm sold on the idea. Now i just need feedback on the Avatars vs the GK neo 210's. No way i'll be able to A/B those stacks. Thanks for your input.