Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions from a newb...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by canopener, Sep 16, 2003.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hello, I just found this site a few days ago, seems like there's a lot of info to get through!

I looked around for a pickups FAQ, and I apologize if I missed it, but, I'll be blunt with my questions...what the heck are the differences between the different style pickups? I have the basic idea that they control different tones, etc, but I couldn't really find a detailed description, well, anywhere. I'm self teaching/taught, and hope I'm not asking too dumb of a question.

Also, I'm a lefty, and noticed that basses are as available as any other product in the free world that are left/right specific...would I be crazy to re-string a righty bass without adjusting the pickups? Would I get a bad sound?

Thanks for your patience,
    Zack

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    One the the best bassplayers in this area is a lefty. His method is to take a right hand bass and flip it over. He's so fast and accurate and tasty I could choke him, because he's also stupid.:eek: :) ;) :rolleyes:
    He adjusted nothing. AND, he can sing! ARGGHHH!!!!:eek:

3. Electronics wise, there should be no problem, just depends on what type you are using, and your tolerance. P style pups will be different because it has been flipped, so that it'll be swapped with regard to the strings, which will affect the tone. I'm not sure about a lot of soapbars, some I've seen are wired similar to P's but closer together and under a single cover, so flipping them will be the same as with the P pup. J's and humbuckers like the Musicman style and those sorta thing will work as normal.

The the drift I'm getting at, if in doubt you can pick up internal wiring diagrams for most pups. If you can't get them, somebody was selling a little thingy that had something like iron filings in a packet so that you could see the magnet arrangement behind the cover.

Josh D

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you flip a right-handed bass over and string it lefty you'll have to get a new nut (or somehow remove the existing nut and reverse it) because the slots in the nut are cut to fit the width of each string.

Also, you'll have to adjust the intonation (i.e. move the saddles at the bridge...notice how they're not straight across?).

And you'll have to move the front strap peg.

Aside from that, there's no reason why a right-handed guitar won't sound great strung and played lefty. After all, Hendrix did it!