Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions from a prospective bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TheNick, Mar 16, 2005.

1. TheNick

TheNick Guest

Dec 10, 2004
    Firday Harbor WA
    Hi this is my first post hear and I need some advice. Im looking into learning double bass but Iv got some concerns. Iam a junior in high school and I have been playing the trumpet since the fifth grade and electric bass for about a year.
    My first concern is the difficulty in finding a teacher. I live on an island and im not sure id be able to find a specific double bass teacher. But the local band teacher offers lessons for any instrument. My first question is this do you think she would be able to teach me and avoid teaching me the bad technique that I hear students who teach them selfs end up with? And secondly how much would it cost to buy a student double bass and bow? Also is there anything else I would need to purchase or anything else I should know?
    Thanks

2. Welcome to TBDB. I can't answer all your questions but I will offer a few observations.

First of all, fill out your profile. There are regular posters here who live all over the world. If we know where you are from, someone might be able to help you locate a teacher.

Does this bandleader play the double bass? This instrument is nothing like a bass guitar--except in tuning. The physical approach and techinque of double bass is totally different. If the band director doesn't play, I doubt if they could get you off to a good start on the instrument.

With regards to your questions about a bass, go the the basses forum and click on the newbie link. It will take to you to the Holy Grail for a beginning bass buyer. As far as that goes, most of the forums here have newbie links that one of our esteemed moderators has compiled. Check them out.

Do some reading and research, then come back with specific questions.