questions from an exguitar player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akhnaton, Jun 7, 2002.

1. akhnaton

Jun 7, 2002
    raleigh, nc
    Years ago I always played guitars (gibson sg actually.) Now I am trying to get into playing bass, but I have several question first.

Iam looking for something inexpensive. I think both the fender P and J sound really well. But I don't like the P beause it has only one pickup. The J has 2 single's which means hum if used alone. Fender fretboards on guitars, never liked them, always preffered the larger Gibson ones (gibson sg actually). Money is an object, $300 is the most I want to invest. One place here had mexi fenders for $390 (trashbag xtra $30). I like having the 2 pickups of the J, for all the variation but the P is a bit more of a my sound. 2 pickups were always better for us playing mostly metal on Guitars.
    Also I have an old beat to heck mockingbird(my wife's bass acually) and the electronics have seem better days on those. I can't touch any of them or the sound goes or get wierd noises in my amp. I want soething that works and is minus all the neck-dive the bc rich's have.

Please give some suggestions on what to get, it can be of any make or brand, I like to keep an open mind.
  2. If you are going to be playing mostly rock and roll then you can't go wrong with a standard P-bass (though the versatility of the J's would make it an excellent choice as well). Dont worry about the number of pickups, worry more about the sound in the pickup. P's have pretty beefy tone, great for rock. Shop around though, take a look at some different brands, I hear the warwick rockbass line is nice, though haven't been able to try one myself. Whatever you go for make sure you play it first, feel it out and make sure it's comfortable. If you don't like the tone, or think the neck is too thickfor your fingers, look for something else. It's your first bass so make sure its something you feel comfortable playing, you're going to have it for a while.

P.S. The few gibson basses i've played i have not enjoyed, this is just me but if you look into a gibson, be sure to try it out.
  3. akhnaton

Jun 7, 2002
    raleigh, nc
    oh, no.... I would never play a gibson bass, those are horrid. Just their guitars are what i play.
  4. Warwick Rockbasses ARE good basses for the money. They stay pretty true to the warwick sound (though less refined) and are very playable. They start at around $500 though, so, a little out of your price range.
    some of Peavey's basses are pretty good though they're fret boards are more like Fenders. You could also always check out Ibanez, but their necks are small too. You could also check out OLP, their necks are thicker than Fender's, and I've heard they're good basses for the money (about $250)

Also, Danelectro...if you're into that vintage vibe.
  5. Ifyou like the multiple pickup options, go for a P/J combo. The Yamaha RBX270 is within your price range at $245. It has the P/J combo, and I have had nothing but good experiences with Yamahas, from the entry level to the high end basses.

Check out this RBX270

Good deal.