Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions from an ignorant when it comes to tech stuff...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, May 1, 2001.

1. 1) Is it normal for the fretboard to be thicker near the head, thereby creating less space between string and board?

2) What exactly is that hole in the head for? I know there is something (truss rod?) inside the neck, but... is it important?

3) I do get a crackling sound sometimes...I have a cheap small amp. Is it the amp or could it be the bass pickups?

4) One of the pickup volume knobs in the bass moves kinda funny like it were not that well installed, but the knob responds. Should I fix the knob or is this not a problem?

All of these questions apply to a Mexican Fender J. Answers are highly appreciated...

I just hope my ignorance in these matters does not result in the bass gettin' all effed up and me shelling out euros...(you see I'm in Europe, so...)

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    1.) Well, it's not a matter of the fretboard getting thicker, it's a matter of the strings being at an angle due to the action (how high the strings are on your bass). Depending on how your bass is set, if the strings are higher at the bridge, they will angle down to meet the nut, making it look like the fretboard is getting thicker.

2.) The truss rod is VERY important! It's a metal rod that can be adjusted to bow the neck in either direction. It's what your use to straigthen out the neck, or add any reflief (curve) that you want. It can be adjusted with either the allen wrench that came with the bass, or, just any allen wrench the right size. I'm pretty sure it's 3/16 for your bass.

3.) That could be any number of things, but guessing by your bass it's probably juts pickup hum. Could you describe it more?

4.) Depends. If you don't want to spend the money to get it fixed, and it works, leave it. But, if you leave it, it might lead to more problems in the future.

Hope this helped. :)

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So, SuperDuck is right.
    I just felt obliged to do some SCREAMIN' about the truss rod. If you do that wrong....there is no bass no more (trust me, I've tried:().
    And add some extras, just for bonus:D

4. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Regarding the apparent thickening of the fretboard closer to the headstock...

The fretboard looks thicker because the neck is tapered and the top of the fretboard is arched (check out the end of the fingerboard at the body). Notice how the fingerboard gets thicker towards the middle? Since the neck is tapers towards the center of the neck as you get closer to the headstock, the taper reveals the thicker portion of the fingerboard which is closer to the middle of the neck.

It's normal.

The other posts cover the closer to the board aspect of the strings.

5. Fortunately, I was ignorant enough about the rod I have never even used the Allen wrench at all. I do not mess with things I do not know about. Rod has never been adjusted yet (bass is less than 9 months in rather recreational use) and the J seems to have a good sound.

Thanks y'all for the info. This site kicks ass and I hope I become better on bass because of it and its people.

Though then again I just play for fun...more an aficionado I guess. Basslines usually decide which songs I like and the 80s were good times for bass players.

B ass is...
    E xcellent
    A wesome
    D a Best
    G reat