Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions of Epi Casady bass (i'm a new jackster)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SrLomo, Feb 15, 2003.

1. SrLomo

SrLomo

May 3, 2002
    Finally, my Jack Casady arrived two or three weeks ago. The first i thought
    when i saw it was "wow.. it's really beautiful". I've never seen a JC before, I ordered mine
    without testing or seeing it before.

I love it, but unfortunately, i still cannot listen to its real sound
    because of my little practique amp (Trace Elliot Boxer 30W). Furthermore,
    the Peavey amp where we all the band play together has a horrible sound.
    Needs to be repaired. It will be done in a week or two. (GREAT!)

I changed the strings for a set of GHS Bass Boomers the same day
    the bass arrived. I don't know if they are good or bad, they were a gift from the guy of the shop. The gauges Jack itself recommend in his web www.casadybass.com are 45-65-80-105 but my new strings are 40-55-75-95. Should i try to buy a set with the correct gauges? When i play unplugged, the E string sounds "plain" with no sustain and a bit quieter than the other strings, that sound better without amp.

The second question: I keep the factory set-up because i'm afraid of doing something wrong. I
    have no experience. Should I take my JC to a guitar shop to do a perfect
    set-up?

Thanks in advance and excuse me if my english is basic.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    First of all... there'll be a guy named Michael Jewels along in this post shortly to set you straight on all my bad advice :D

Strings and setup are a personal preference, but I read through a bunch of existing posts on Jack Casady basses immediately after purchasing mine and saw Michael's recommendation of Dean Markley Blue Steels... Tried 'em and liked 'em so much that all of my basses, (with the recent exception of my P-Bass) are wearin' 'em!! I use the nickel coated roundwounds... I forget the gauge sizes but they're the mediums, (the store didn't have these in heavy)... The strings break in nicely, and IMO, get better sounding with age...

As far as setup, if you're unsure, definitely take it to a guitar shop... just have some kind of idea as to the setup you're looking for, and ask politely if they'll let you watch while they set it up. You'll want to be able to do minor adjustments, (or a full setup even!), at some point in the future... If you do it yourself, I found the the truss rod is very responsive... small increments, let it sit for a day before checking... The three point bridge takes some getting used to, but is pretty versatile when all's said and done. I like high action on this bass, with the pickup close to the strings so that I can get good expressiveness out of the 50 Ohm setting. I find that I can't bring the pickup quite as high as I'd like, but that can be remedied, (some day when I get around to it... :))

Finally, you must post pics! I find it very unacceptable that we get so few pics posted in these Jack threads!!! Step up to the plate guys!!!

[​IMG]

-robert

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    That's a classy looking rig, Robert. Bet you get some tone outa that setup! The Jackbass is extremely tone heavy, as you know. Nice job on the cabs, man! :bassist:

4. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i almost got a jack cassidy. i had been looking at one in a local store for a long time, the price kept going down, and i finally decided to get it. I went to the store, and as soon as i walked in one of the workers there looked at me and just said "sorry man, you came a day late, we sold it on e-bay yesterday". apparently he had gotten to know me, i went and played it on all my spare time. oh well, now i'm lookin at a 6 string in the saem store.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am a jackster wannabe.

unfortunately i have not enough money to order the bass and i have to choose between a '51 Precision RI and the jack.

i am still hoping to raise money for both.

i love them!