Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions of Making an EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How difficult is making a 4-7 band EQ?

Is there any site where i can get instructions?

I know a little information about electronics (i took a class in school last year on technology, but i never learned anything about tone pots/eq's.)

Thanks.

2. Hi Portrait'.

Not that difficult, provided you've some working knowledge of electronics. I think you'll need more than just a little knowledge, though.

There are a number of circiuts available on the web. I don't have that info' with me right now, but tomorrow I'll post the URL.

In addition, there's a special chip/package that's been designed for EQ construction. It's use would dramatically reduce the amount of construction needed for that sort of project. It's available in UK for about £15 (or was it £20?) and I'll be very surprised if it's not available over the pond. Anyway, all you need atop that chip thingy are the slider pots and a power pack for supplying the DC. I'll post that info tomorrow, too.

There's not much to choose between 4 or 7 channels. Frankly, neither is going to be that much use to you. 12 is more the norm. Check out what gear manufacturers are offering for bass EQ and follow what they do; that is, number of chans, what frequency those chans are, etc. There seem to be standards and I see no point in deviating: no real sense in re-inventing the wheel;)

More details tomorrow.

John

3. Buy one

:D

They are plentiful and cheap on eBay. Rane can build a far better EQ, and they have been doing it for a very long time.

4. Portrait'

Try:-

http://sound.westhost.com/project75.htm

for the graphic EQ.

There are loads of guitar projects on this site. I think it's really good.

The other thing is by a firm called, Telecontrolli, and is a 10 band EQ with frequencies on the octave starting with 31 Hz.

Hope that helps.

John

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks everyone.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I know Carvin offers a graphic EQ, too.
    Many many bands, if I can remember correctly.

I'm not sure if that's specifically what you're talking about, or not?

Carvin EQ