Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on Basses over 6 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Well i was just wondering what like say a 7 string bass has for strings? I know on a 6 string you add one string lower than the E and one higher than the G. So with like a 7 string is it adding another higher or lower string? With 8 strings arent they just like ocatve strings (like a 12 string guitar) or are they 8 seperate strings? Just kind of wondering this stuff since i dont really know it.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Welcome to TB timid. If you do a seach (use the button nearer the top of the screen) you can find alll sorts of information on this very topic.

Ray

3. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    On a 7 string it is really up to the perogative of the player, some guys add another high string above the C, and some guys add a low F# below the B.

As far as 8 strings go they come in both varieties, 8 individual strings as well as an octaved 4 string, and are two very different animals.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Actually, on any bass it is up to the player. I've seen all sorts of tunings and stringings of basses. A bass is a tool. You string it to create the sounds that are waiting to come out of your head, heart and hands.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If I wouldn't be at work, I'd post more details as well, but so far I think people have gotten it good enough.

Ray

6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    +1

You could have a 4 String strung B E A D, or a 5 String Strung E A D G C.. OR a 4 String Strung A D G C... It doesnt really matter...

But, Standard tuning is

4 - EADG
    5 - BEADG
    6 - BEADGC
    7 - BEADGCF
    8 - F#BEADGCF

and so on, and so forth.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I tune my 7-string from low to high: B E A D G C F - and I use the Conklin SIT signature strings (which are appearently modeled after John Turner's strings of choice) gauges: .135 .110 .080 .055 .035 .025 .018pb (pb = plain bass string - not wound).

Hope that helps.