questions on Boss Chorus and Limiter/Enhancer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Are either of these two good? Are they easy to use? Do they sound good? I know they are durable. Thanks a lot.

Nate M
  2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

I own a BOSS CEB-3 Bass chorus.

Excellent pedal with great sound. It offers warm and fat Chorus. The low filter knob is helpful as well.

BOSS are excellent products.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, the CEB-3 is pretty bitchen. Lotsa cool, jazzy, swoopy sounds. Easy to use, too.

On the LMB-something-or-other ... I've been thinking about getting a compressor, looking mostly at EBS's MultiComp. I played the EBS unit at Gard's place down at Bass Central, and it was very subtle. I haven't had a chance to play the Boss unit. The nearest one I've found is 75 miles away at a GC (my local GCs don't carry squat). I haven't heard anything bad about them, but I haven't heard anything good, either. Actually, I haven't heard anything about 'em. If they were really good, they'd get a lot of good press, like the SABDDI. If they really blow, I'd expect people to be saying something like "That Boss Limiter sucks." So there you have it ... my definitive analysis and conclusions. My recommendation: Find one, try it and, if you like it, buy it. Amen, and that's all. Good-bye.
  4. Got both. The LMB-3 is actually very valuable for fingerstyle tones IMHO. Tightens up the sound, also helps out w/ a pick. The best way to use this pedal is put all the knobs at 12o'clock. To much enhance = Hiss. If it's cheap enough (about $40) pick one up. If you don't like it, you can get your money back (maybe more). The compression on it isn't noticable until you get close to 1:1 ratio and Min for threshold. Helps out w/ slap tones. Really subtle pedal that just makes things sound good. Turn it on and leave it on.

Chorus - bas ass. Really great chorus. The filter knob makes it great for bass. I usually run the level at 12, Filter at 12, Rate at 10, Depth at max. Really warm sound in a live situation. Makes high notes really stand out. Makes the lows...dunno...what's a good word. Uhh....good. *shrug*

I'd say stick the enhancer after the chorus, that's what I have done. At those knob settings, pedal noise is virtually nil. These are the two pedals I use the most!
  5. i like the sound of the chorus on my high notes butn the lows tend to get lost in the mix no matter what i set the low filter to... (how does that low filter work anyway?... waht does it DO?)
    my big problem with it is that it seems to cause an awful amount of hiss when i turn it on. More then any other effect i have... i also usually have the Effect Level up pretty high.
  6. Chorus on low notes = Mud.

The Low filter just cuts the chorus effect to lower frequencies. I have no idea what the position/frequency relationship is. I usually try to cut most of the low notes, I run the filter at 12-1o'clock. You want to preserve that bottom end, not make it all over the place.

Turn down the level effect, or else you get

Level around 12, and it blends away decently.

7. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i tried the boss limiter/enhancer and ended up taking it back to the store & exchanging it for an alesis nanocompressor. i just didn't like the way the limiter sounded. there wasn't enough limiting going on & the enhance function just added too much noise.

since then i've managed to get my hands on a trace elliot smx dual compressor. if you can try one out (although you'd ahve to go 2nd hand as they stopped making them years ago).