1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions on Fender 60's Jazz Laquer Bass (MIM)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Jun 22, 2014.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My understanding is that these are the same as the Fender 60's Road Worn, but without the relic. Anyone understand differently?

I've only seen a couple of these for sale around here and in stores, and the particular basses for sale were pretty heavy, e.g. the one at SweetWater is almost 10 lbs.

While my 60's Road Worn Jazz is < 8.5 lbs.

Are these consistently heavier than the Road Worn counterparts?

Anyone know where you could buy one of these Non-Road-Worn versions from a shop/person that could disclose accurate weight?

Any other thoughts or experiences are welcome.

2. I have one, it's weight is pretty comparable to most other Mexican jazz basses I've owned throughout the years.. Between 8.5 - 9lbs. While I haven't A/B'd it with a roadworn j, the neck is super comfy & plays as nice as any other MIA I've tried. The thing that stands out mostly to me is the feel of the nitro lacquer, it's almost kind of sticky.
    I will say, last year I got to mess around with a RW precision and it was probably the lightest bass I have ever played. Almost too light.. The neck was very fast and the setup was great, but it felt sorta cheap. Perhaps fender consciously uses more lightweight woods in their roadworn series??

3. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Cool. Thanks. I'm used to playing basses < 8 lbs., so 9 lbs. seems awfully hearty to me. :)

4. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Reviving....so the body is sticky? The neck? Any other experiences?

5. MrRobert

MrRobert

Jul 7, 2011
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I have a 60s Jazz lacquer... It's not as light as the roadworns I've played, but it's still lighter than most jazzes. The finish is NOT at all sticky on mine. It's smooth and slick on the body and the neck. I think fender does something different with the Roadworn series, either lighter or dryer wood, or both, although nobody has any actual evidence of that. Fender says the hardware on the classic lacquer (but not the pickups) is the same as the U.S. vintage series, but does not say that about the roadworns.
    I love the classic 60s, by the way... Great value at half the price of a U.S. vintage series bass, though the case it comes with is way less nice than a g&g case, it's still pretty good.

6. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Great info. I suppose the hardware on the RW can't be the same, as it's reliced?

Seems Iike a nice mid priced jazz iif one can find a light one.

7. RobBottom69

RobBottom69

Aug 2, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I have the 60's Jazz lacquer. It's a great bass and it gets lots of compliments. At the first rehearsal with the new drummer in my cover band he kept looking at me and the bass like, "I can't believe he's playing a $10K bass in a mediocre cover band". After a few tunes he asked me, "what year is that bass"? I look at the back of it and say looks like 2013, then he gives me a funny look and says, "No, not what year you bought it, what year is that bass?" :laugh:

If I don't wipe down the bass after, say, a rehearsal it will get a little sticky. I kinda see what they're talking about, but wipe it down and use the Finger Ease and it's good as new.