1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

questions on first band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Apr 19, 2006.

1. hey there :)

my friend and i just got together recently and started jamming out some tunes... but this is both of out first bands and we want to get some songs under our belt.. we have both been playing for over a year and are pretty good.

my question is this...

during a 4-6 hour jam session, how many songs would be a good idea to jam on?

we are currently working on Metallica's king nothing and plan on doing seek and destroy, and we are currently really into tool's schism..

we are kind of juggeling those 3 songs right now, but should we just stick to one song every jam until we get it down or mic it up a bit?

how do u guys handle this?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Set a goal and go for it. One song done well, many songs worked on, it doesn't make a difference.

One way to plan a rehearsal is to try some new material that you've never played and get a handle on some of it. Then move to other songs that are near finished. And end with songs that you know well.

Whatever feels right is what you should do. But, planning to get some things done, will keep you on track so the rehearsal doesn't break down into pointless jamming or just talking and goofing around.

3. heh, we actually got together a few times over the past few months to start a jam but ended up goofing off. we start jamming more frequently and it was all "Screw this, lets do it!" and set a goal of 3 songs within the month.. and we picked 2 differnt kinda songs.. a slow groovy song (king nothing) a heavy metal song (seek and destroy), and an unique song (schism) because its oddly timed and frequently changing time.

but i think we are going to stick to schism for a while cuz we already got half of it pretty down :)

just curious to know how the rest of the world does it

oh.. we still goof off a little bit, but music releated, my mum called me so he just started doodeling and we ended up writing it out and adding a badd line lol

but then got right back on track with schism :)

4. The longer you hang together, the more songs you will get through and the better the first take will sound.

Mind you, the main band I played with were together 4.5 years and we quit just as we got our spit together - we were too polished and professional sounding and we all lost interest :)

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    As many songs as you possibly can fit into practise, do it. Believe me, when you're jamming on ne or two songs every session, you begin to really hate those damn songs. Haha.

Y'know, it's funny, I'm still in my first band, and it's been like four years. Granted, the band itself has changed, but it's still the same two guys (I'm one of those two, if you didn't figure).

6. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I have always been in bands that stressed making original music. EVentually, I got my first band to do a couple covers. At the time Staind was popular and we all liked them. We did a cover of "For You" and that got the crowd going. We also did a Sevendust cover and a Fine Young Cannibals cover ("She Drives Me Crazy! Ah ah")
    People tended to like the covers... They stood up and moved forward and all that good stuff. So I would suggest throwing covers in your set to get the people up and close, then throw a couple originals at them and then throw more covers...

Doing other people's songs at the beginning of playing is the BEST way to do things. You know how the tracks sound, you know how to play them, it teaches you progressions, time and shows who in the band is clicking and what they all need to work on. Original music may have issues that got hidden and you dont find them until you are recording them you know?

7. ooo great advice :) but we are far from gigging.. its just him and i right now :p

8. I suggest to start out with pretty basic tunes that you can master. It is a lot more fun to master a simple song than struggle with a more complex one. In my first band, our guitar player was so keen to play Pink Floyd and ELP songs and we spent hour after hour pounding out weak attempts to get these songs right. That was a real drag, especially since we never got them up to performance quality. The easier songs, however, were lots of fun and we were able to play them in public with confidence.

9. One fun thing I did with my band mates is something we call "Passing the Torch".

I would start with a bass groove, then the guitarist would add a part, and then the drummer. After we played that for a few bars, I would stop, and listen to the guitar and drums by themselves, and come up with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT bass part. Then, once the three of us locked in with the new bass groove, the guitarist would stop, listen to bass and drums for a bit, and come up with something completely different as well. And then the drummer would do the same, and it would keep going around.

Since we all have out hands busy, we worked out this signal: When you are happy with the riff you've come up with, stick your tongue out at the next guy. That's when he stops and comes up with the next groove.

It's a lot of fun, since you can go half time, double time, change keys, and it's a great way to learn how to think on your feet with your instrument.

We record these sessions, and come up with some great riffs when we listen back. I remember our very first attempt at "Passing the Torch" lasted 75 minutes! That was a lot of hard drive space! :D

Of course, it's just you and another guy, so I don't think it would be as effective, but maybe it's something worth trying once you have a third guy in the mix.