Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

questions on MIA jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Jun 16, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what is under the pickgaurd?
    can i take it off and play with out it?
    where the holes drilled before or after it was painted?
    can i get a bridge cover that doesn't screw in? like it has two sided tape? i don't want to drill two holes into my new jazz bass.
    also on a p-bass why is the finger rest on the bottom of the bass not on the top.
    thanks for the info. and sorry about all the jazz threads.

steve

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    1) Wood. Just Wood. Look at Jaco's bass.

2) Yes. See Above.

3) I think half the holes are drilled before and the other half are drilled after. What difference does it make?

4) You can buy two sided tape and attatch a regular bridge cover that way.

5) The early P basses had the thumb redt below the G string because it was actually a hand rest. You were supposed to pluck the bass with your thumb. Later models had the thumbrest above the E string. In the end, the best place to park your thumb is the pickup.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    just what i was looking for.
    if they where drilled afterwards it has the natrual wood in the holes. you can see wood. but if it was paintes before the paint would be at the edges of the holes. being less noiticable.

steve

4. :mad:On my 96 MIA Jazz V, the wiring channel from the neck p/u to the controls is exposed (although it is finished in black the same as the rest of the body), so with the guard off it looks unfinished. Is this only on the 5-string, or is this done all the time now?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On my 97 Jazz V, like Bob's, a big ugly looking wiring channel. On some other Jazz basses there is a clean rout like Jaco's bass.
    On some Jazz basses you can, some you can't.
    After.
    I don't think anyone makes this. Sounds like a dubious idea to me. What happens when you need to take it off? The tape could rip up some paint.
    Because the bass was originally intended to be played using the flat of your thumb. Rest your fingers on the bottom rest and your thumb is in a good position to play. This technique is difficult but results in a very pleasant sound. Sting does this a lot.

6. Normally, if the bass has a pickguard, it is because it is top routed, and the guard is covering up the gaping crevice in your bass. I really don't see any other need to have a pickguard.

I know what you're thinking, it's there so you don't scratch the finish when you use a pick. How hard do you hit the strings when you use a pick? I use a pick sometimes, and my attack is pretty heavy, but I've never hit the wood, let alone hit it hard enough to damage it. Anyway...

Some jazz basses are rear routed, and the pick guard is just there for show. If your MIA is like that, I don't see any reason why you couldn't remove it, other than having visible screw holes.

What color finish is your Jazz? Why not get a matching color pickguard? I put a matching p/g on my P bass, and it looks sweet.

Like Phil said, double sided tape may damage the finish if you take it off. Double sided tape is also more apt to be knocked off thanif it were screwed on. I know you don't want to drill holes into your new $800 bass, but some sacrifices have to be made for the sake of cosmetic appearance.:D

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    it is a ocean turqiose. with a maple fingerboard.
    i found a black pearliod pickgaurd for it for only $20
    steve