1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Questions On Modding An Old Guild

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgroh, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Hey guys,

I have been doing some thinking about possibly (the operative word here) doing some mods to my old Guild B-301, but wanted to get some opinions. I originally was thinking about ripping out the frets when my wife bought me a Squier VM Fretless that sounds awesome. So, there that goes...

My latest idea was to take out the single, single-coil pickup and maybe throw in a humbucker (or 2). Maybe even adda pre-amp? What do you guys think? Has anyone have experience swapping out a single coil for a humbucker and how did it go? (sorry I know, that sounds noobish) Could I even add two? There is plenty of space.

My problem is that even though I love this old bass, I dont play it much anymore and since it has a decent amount of roadwear, it would be more trouble than its worth to sell it (from what I gather by asking around) What do you guys think? Do I need a luthier to do all of this?

2. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    from my personal experience ..if you love it as you say ...i would just keep it stock as is...in years to come ..trust me on this ...you will be glad its still the same....and it remains un butchered.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I hear you...however, the B-301 is a bit of a one trick pony in terms of tone. It is real mid-rangey with lots of growl that sounds good, BUT its not a tone I cant get with my Jazz. As a matter of fact, I can get that and more with my Jazz. And since the resale value is not worth it, I thought it may be a good bass to modify with some big humbuckers and preamp.