questions on morley wah pedals *cliff burton fans check this out*

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by benjamin, Mar 5, 2006.

1. benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    ive been playing bass for 3 years now and i finally feel i'm good enough to solo live, and being a huge fan of cliff burton, ive decided the morley wah with the WOOSH sound would be badass to have.

here's the questions... do the new morleys sound like the one cliff used? i've also noticed there's several kinds of new morleys... if i did get a new one, which would i get? if the new morleys DONT sound like the old one... is my only alternative to shell out the $150 plus to get a vintage one on ebay? one last thing... i heard about the bulbs going out over time. if i got one off of ebay, how do i know if the bulb is bad, and where can i find a new one?

i appreciate your time dudes!
  2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I personally dont think the new ones sound anything like the older morleys. I got lucky and picked up a used 70's wah from my local guitars store for $65. The bulbs do go bad, but it takes many years to do so. If your wah doesnt work, take it to a guitar store (preferably a smaller independant store, since they seem to know more, and do a better job). And they can tell you how to replace the bulb, or do it for you.
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use one.

No they do not, at least the curent line.

As far as the bulbs, it's an easy fix. The bottom screws off by 4 metal screws on the side and there is the socket to replace it. Don't pay $20.00 for 4 of them through Morley. You can get then for about $1.00 each through various places.
  4. benjamin

Apr 12, 2004
    thanks for the help guys, ill be getting a vintage one off ebay or somthing.

and for the record, the "cliff burton" may make this post cliche on these boards, but he really was a great bassist... metallica without him is trash.
  5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

actually I only read this post because it said cliff burton in the title, i didnt read the rest. some of their most famous songs(not all), like enter sandman were done with newsted
  6. God-of-Bass

Mar 9, 2006
    lol same here thedonutman

umm.. Morley wahs are the best pedals, but above, no. They do not sound like the older ones now. They should come up with a new line of pedals that were made the same way as cliffs pedal. some sort of a tribute. That probably be a hit since Cliff was godly.

As for bulbs, they are repaired easily.:bassist: