Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Questions on Sadowsky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Hi all, can you help me with some Sadowsky related questions:

I have heard so many good things about Sadowsky and though I've never played one, I feel that it would be bass heaven for me and I wish one day to be able to own a five string. I'm just a bit confused about the different models on offer and hope you can help me:

1) Correct me if I'm wrong but there exists a NYC line, a Metro line and a Tokyo line. The difference between the Metro and NYC line is that you can only choose different woods when purchasing from the NYC range, right? What though is the difference between the Metro and the Tokyo line.

2) There is then a distinction between the standard bass with J pick-ups and the 24 fret bass with soapbar/humbuckers (?). Is the latter meant to be the top of the line (the site describes them as the biggest gun in the sadowsky tone arsenal) or is it merely a matter of preference. I'm asking this because the 24 fret is costlier.

3) For those of you in the know, particularly who have both models, what are the differences in tone between the standard with j pups and the one with soapbars.

I know this is a little long winded but haven't managed to figure all this out completely.

Peace and Harmony

W

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Basically, the Metro offers only standard models with limited options. The NYC offers many more choices in pickups, woods, etc. The tokyo is a slightly different beast, better explained by the Sadowsky website than I. The NYC's are made in the shop in NYC, while the Metro's and Tokyo's are made in Japan, though still in a small shop environment like the NYC shop. Quality level of the tokyo built ones is still supposed to live up to the Sadowsky Rep.

It's not a question of top of the line. It's more a preference of "jazz-style" bass vs. more "modern" tones. Definitely a preference thing.

I don't have either (yet!!!), so I'll leave this to someone with a little more direct experience.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can get the 24 fret 5 with either the SoapBars or the JJ's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Soapbar 24 fret 5 has Custom EMG 40 J's that is my favorite. The new Sadowsky soapbars are very punchy and focused. The EMG's are very clean (people call them sterile) & super agressive and nasty sounding. The Hum Cancelling J's are kinda in between, not as warm as punchy as the Sadowsky Soaps but not "sterile" like the EMG's.

4. Thank you all. Most helpful as usual. :smug: